TV Series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

That's definitely good news. I might be dead in 2 years, I can't be waiting around for TV shows to finish production.

I haven't even watched the last episode but it's already been completely spoiled for me. If the mystery wizard is Gandalf then they're monkeying with the stories we already have about the origins of the Wizards...and they've definitely taken some liberties with Sauron's arc...but none of that ruins the enjoyment of the series for me. I wanna see how this things turns out.
So the Gandalf thing is only speculation from a one-liner at the end and it could be a total misdirect but for some reason that knowledge made me feel totally different and more invested in the series. So it's not a true spoiler just speculation so watch it yourself and report back what you think.

So the Gandalf thing is only speculation from a one-liner at the end and it could be a total misdirect but for some reason that knowledge made me feel totally different and more invested in the series. So it's not a true spoiler just speculation so watch it yourself and report back what you think.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you spoiled it, I had heard the Gandalf thing and the "who is Sauron" thing from multiple sources already. As soon as I'm not contagious the family will all sit and watch the finale

If the mystery wizard is Gandalf then they're monkeying with the stories we already have about the origins of the Wizards...and they've definitely taken some liberties with Sauron's arc...but none of that ruins the enjoyment of the series for me. I wanna see how this things turns out.

Sorry for bringing it up too early. How long do you guys normally wait until you start discussing episodes in depth?

On Gandalf, I don't know what the books said about where wizards came from. But I rewatched LOTR, the Twin Towers just the other night. The part where Gandalf was describing how he killed the Balrog and Gandalf said he died and the movie showed him whisked off into space floating around where he lay dormant, and time had no meaning, blah, blah, blah. So maybe they are following that concept in the movie, and they decided in rings to have them reappear by coming back to earth in a meteor. The movies were criticized for deviating from the books. That thought came to me anyways.

Also, everyone is assuming it's Gandalf still and largely because the old gray guy repeated Gandalf's statement of "when in doubt, follow your nose" at the end. That's a pretty obvious quote but it's not yet for sure.

edit...see some of this already has been covered.

Sorry for bringing it up too early. How long do you guys normally wait until you start discussing episodes in depth?

On Gandalf, I don't know what the books said about where wizards came from. But I rewatched LOTR, the Twin Towers just the other night. The part where Gandalf was describing how he killed the Balrog and Gandalf said he died and the movie showed him whisked off into space floating around where he lay dormant, and time had no meaning, blah, blah, blah. So maybe they are following that concept in the movie, and they decided in rings to have them reappear by coming back to earth in a meteor. The movies were criticized for deviating from the books. That thought came to me anyways.

Also, everyone is assuming it's Gandalf still and largely because the old gray guy repeated Gandalf's statement of "when in doubt, follow your nose" at the end. That's a pretty obvious quote but it's not yet for sure.

I don't know if it's Gandalf or not but for some weird reason it makes the season make more sense to me so, for now, I'm buying into it. If that isn't the case then I hope the writers come up with something that is very convincing and gets me invested in the character. I think that is what I was lacking for most of this season, investment, and now it's starting to come together for me.

Not sure if there is any agreed-upon time period? Myself, I usually will use the spoilers function to discuss it immediately after. That way, if anyone hasn't seen the episode yet, they can click the spoilers at their own risk, or wait until after they've seen it and then click em.

My problem was that I wanted to read articles about the series, and they almost always spoil things, sometimes inadvertently. I don't blame anybody in here for that.

My first thought about the meteor dude when he first appeared was "That's Gandalf, and it's all wrong..." but they've been really coy about him because they were still trying to hide Sauron. Now that we know who Sauron was, they shouldn't need to keep meteor dude's identity so secret in the next season, IMO.

I don't know if it's Gandalf or not but for some weird reason it makes the season make more sense to me so, for now, I'm buying into it. If that isn't the case then I hope the writers come up with something that is very convincing and gets me invested in the character. I think that is what I was lacking for most of this season, investment, and now it's starting to come together for me.

The reaction the alien ladies chasing him make me wonder if this guy could be one of the two blue wizards.

The time that the Blue Wizards arrived in Middle-earth is uncertain. In Unfinished Tales, Tolkien wrote that the five Istari came to Middle-earth together in TA 1000. However, in The Peoples of Middle-earth, they are said to have arrived in the Second Age, around the year SA 1600, the time of the forging of the One Ring.[3] Their mission was directed at weakening Sauron's forces in the eastern and southern parts of Middle-earth, whereas the other Istari were focused on the west.

are the original movies good for 9 and 8 year old?
never seen the shit
Oh yeah, they'd be fine. There's violence of a sort, but it's not Game of Thrones level gore. There are plenty of jump-scares though, and if your kids are prone to nightmares there are some scary-looking creatures in it that could keep them up at night... but otherwise they are fine for that age.

The reaction the alien ladies chasing him make me wonder if this guy could be one of the two blue wizards.

The time that the Blue Wizards arrived in Middle-earth is uncertain. In Unfinished Tales, Tolkien wrote that the five Istari came to Middle-earth together in TA 1000. However, in The Peoples of Middle-earth, they are said to have arrived in the Second Age, around the year SA 1600, the time of the forging of the One Ring.[3] Their mission was directed at weakening Sauron's forces in the eastern and southern parts of Middle-earth, whereas the other Istari were focused on the west.

I'm literally cool with believing it's Gandalf until it isn't. If they make the dude someone else I just hope they do a bang-up job and get me to buy in.

Oh yeah, they'd be fine. There's violence of a sort, but it's not Game of Thrones level gore. There are plenty of jump-scares though, and if your kids are prone to nightmares there are some scary-looking creatures in it that could keep them up at night... but otherwise they are fine for that age.
I'd say start with the Hobbit and do it in order but I just can't recommend the Hobbit series to anyone.

are the original movies good for 9 and 8 year old?
never seen the shit

jmo...I think it's more directed for teens and older. The first one, fellowship of the ring would be a decent test to find out. They are long movies probably difficult for young kids to follow. The scenes can be scary, violent at times, not as much in the first movie, but the last two become quite dark. There is no sex and the story of good v evil is a good one. You would have to do a lot of coaching, that would probably make it much better.

It would be hard for them if you don't know the story either. The kids would probably do better starting with the Rings of Power.

jmo...I think it's more directed for teens and older. The first one, fellowship of the ring would be a decent test to find out. They are long movies probably difficult for young kids to follow. The scenes can be scary, violent at times, not as much in the first movie, but the last two become quite dark. There is no sex and the story of good v evil is a good one. You would have to do a lot of coaching, that would probably make it much better.

It would be hard for them if you don't know the story either. The kids would probably do better starting with the Rings of Power.

i have to admit...

they've seen Stranger things

I did a little reading on Gandalf and the Istari in "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth" and came across a couple of interesting notes. I think they are possibly repeated somewhere in the LOTR, but haven't located where, exactly, yet.

In one section, he names himself: "Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the north Gandalf; to the East I go not." (emphasis added)

Also mentioned in the same chapter of Unfinished Tales is a recounting of how Gandalf first arrived in Middle Earth, which was by ship to the Grey Havens, during the Third Age, not the Second, and where he was given the third Elven ring, Narya, by Cirdan the Shipwright. This account is found in the Silmarillion as well, in the chapter "Of the rings of power and the third age."

TL;DR: I don't think the stranger in Rings of Power should be Gandalf. This character just doesn't track with what we know about Gandalf. But of course, I'm not the one being paid to write the scripts.

I don't recall any scene in the movies of Gandolf in space.

I think the prologue in Fellowship is one of the best done things ever. It explains enough for anyone new to Tolkien to be able to follow. No need to watch the Hobbit movies first. Especially since they were done more as a money grab and often feel like a video game.

I think the prologue in Fellowship is one of the best done things ever. It explains enough for anyone new to Tolkien to be able to follow. No need to watch the Hobbit movies first. Especially since they were done more as a money grab and often feel like a video game.

I agree the hobbit movies were not the best, but I think the story of how Bilbo got the ring to begin with, gollum, Gandalf and a host of other things help to understand the hardship that was about to be thrust on everyone who took up the path of destroying the ring.

To your point, lotr is where most people started anyways so yes, it does stand on it's own. But to get kids to pick up on that much is hard which is why I suggested at least having someone to fill in any blanks in the beginning.

The Hobbit movies are absolutely horrible. Best to skip all together.

The Lord of the Rings movies on the other and are amazing. Highly recommend going with the extended versions as well. 4k too if you can, they are some of the best showcases of 4k out there.