Watertown gonna DIE

saw this one on the news last night from Panama City FL. the other houses are keeping one of them from toppling over

4ZKVVIAQWJATZAFAD3QPBQNT3Q.jpg

We got some wind last night

View attachment 114491

That's gonna leave a mark.

View attachment 114492

View attachment 114493
Looks like it's about time for some residents of your city reassess the age & size of some trees with the proximity to their house.

Back in the spring of 2001 my parents dealt with this exact scenario. They had a huge ancient tree way too close to their house and a storm murdered it. Thankfully the tree fell southeast instead of northeast - the tree murdered my brother's truck and not members of my family.

Lafayette is another. Usually it happens when someone’s name is used to name a city.

So it begs the question…

Who was “Norco”?

Norco, La.

Norco, Ca.
Ah, that would Humberto Federico de la Cruz de Anza la Tienda Jimenez Esquillante Pobrecito El Norco. One of the lesser-known explorers of the mid to late 1500's. Nobody knows much about him because he was riddled with horrifically bad luck.

He started out from Cuba in 1556 to find either the Northwest Passage or El Dorado, "whichever comes first," according to his diary. He got immediately caught in a hurricane which blew him to current-day Louisiana. After traipsing through endless swamps and bayous with about 30 of his surviving men, they made it to the present-day St. Charles parish where his horse died. He buried the horse and named the place "El Muerte del Caballo de Norco," which was eventually just shortened to Norco.

After hitching a ride back to Cuba, he set out a few years later to once again find "something, dammit!" according to his diary. Not having the financial backing he had hoped, he could only raise enough money and supplies for a small boat, which again was caught in a storm and deposited in coastal Texas, near Corpus Christi. Making the best of a bad situation, he told his small crew that "this was the plan all along" and then set out generally westward. The party was aided or harassed by local tribes alternately, but managed to make headway across Texas and into current Mexican states Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, and Chihuahua.

Eventually, he made it into present-day New Mexico near Las Cruces, and was told "Dave's not here, man." Also, he was told that there wasn't any gold, just silver, and that he should keep pressing north and west. Apparently, his reputation preceded him, and no one in Nuevo Mexico wanted anything to do with him. His rep preceding him, he was continually pointed all the way across New Mexico, Durango, and Arizona, all the way to coastal California. By now, all but 2 of his companions had died, deserted, or been eaten. When he made it to modern-day Los Angeles, exhausted, emaciated, and completely mad, his two remaining companions murdered him on the spot near where Norco, California currently sits. One of the companions stole Norco's personal effects, which by now consisted of a necklace made of killed crew members' bones, a floppy felt hat, and the diary, which was pawned for 2 pesetas and a shot of mescal.

The diary turned up about 2 centuries later in a San Diego book store.

Looks like it's about time for some residents of your city reassess the age & size of some trees with the proximity to their house.

I agree. I'm not sure why the city allows those old trees to remain other than old people luv'n em and won't let the city take them down. But those pix, that's how many of the trees in old neighborhoods look here.

Back in the spring of 2001 my parents dealt with this exact scenario. They had a huge ancient tree way too close to their house and a storm murdered it. Thankfully the tree fell southeast instead of northeast - the tree murdered my brother's truck and not members of my family.

You can always replace a truck. :yo:

I am in that boat. My house was originally built in 1875 and I believe the maple next to it must have been planted at the same time. It's about 80 ft tall with a 120 ft crown width. But, the shade is priceless.