TV Series 3 Body Problem

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,154.00
Netflix series and I am enjoying this. Only one season so far but it looks like season 2 is on.

Time zone shifts made it hard for me to keep up with characters at first, but man ... this show has some twist. Great CGI. I'm only through the first 3 episodes.

In our 3 Body Problem review by Tom Power, we said that it's "a cleverly constructed and sweeping epic that, once it navigates its clunky embryonic stage, finds an impressive balance between its high-brow plot, intimate and character-driven storylines, and grounding in real science and history-defining events... It won’t have the same, industry-altering impact that Game of Thrones had in 2011, but it’s more than earned a spot – a potentially permanent one – in my best Netflix shows guide."

The show is currently sitting at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, where many reviewers share Tom's view that it takes a while to find its stride. The Verge says that "by the finale, it becomes clear that these episodes are really just laying the groundwork for an even bigger, more deeply complicated narrative." Den of Geek agrees that the first half is a little slow but says that "the back half of the season is consistently compelling, and sometimes downright thrilling". But not every reviewer agrees that the show's worth sticking with. The Chicago Tribune says that "somehow 3 Body Problem does not, in any way, feel urgent", while The Independent says that "no book is really unadaptable; the problem is that rendering it on screen will simply be too dull, or confusing. 3 Body Problem is somehow both."

I want to give some background on this series.

This TV series is based on a series of science fiction novels by Liu Cixin called Remembrance of Earth's Past that was originally published in Chinese and then translated into English. The book series is highly-acclaimed, with the first book, The Three-Body Problem, after which this show is named, being the only foreign-language novel to ever win the Hugo Award for Best Novel, the most prestigious award in science fiction (along with the Nebula).

I've read the books, and the novels are incredible and extraordinary. However, I'm wary toward this television adaptation because it's being adapted by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the same pair that adapted Game of Thrones, and we all know how that series turned out.

All 8 episodes of the first season were released last week on Thursday, March 21, 2024. I'm going to try and watch this series later this week if I have time and hope it turns out better than GoT did.

Original short teaser before the longer trailers posted above:

Eye poster:

8gk7i4h86lzb1.jpg

Antenna poster:

ozj2m6u7txmc1.jpeg

Finished the season over the weekend.
Great concepts and ideas.

As far as Benioff and Weiss, let's remember that GoT was an unfinished product.
Things fell apart when they ran out of source material in those later seasons.
3BP is complete, so this is all about adaptation which is where B&W excel.

I have not read the books or read up on it, so I don't know what happens.
Just sucks that we have to wait a few more seasons (years) to see how this all plays out.

For the old timers out there, I was getting Last Starfighter vibes from this, but I guess in reverse?

Knowing who made it, I'm not excited.

Finished the season over the weekend.
Great concepts and ideas.

As far as Benioff and Weiss, let's remember that GoT was an unfinished product.
Things fell apart when they ran out of source material in those later seasons.
3BP is complete, so this is all about adaptation which is where B&W excel.

I have not read the books or read up on it, so I don't know what happens.
Just sucks that we have to wait a few more seasons (years) to see how this all plays out.

For the old timers out there, I was getting Last Starfighter vibes from this, but I guess in reverse?
Oh this is an adapted screenplay? Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I have had this book on my to read list for a pretty long time and still want to read it before watching the show. Might move it to the top of my list so I can get into it.

I am through ep 6 of 8. Still very good but you can't step away or you'll be lost when you get back to it.

I am through ep 6 of 8. Still very good but you can't step away or you'll be lost when you get back to it.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'll have to rewatch S1 when S2 comes out.

I don't remember Last Starfighter. I was thinking it was a bit like Enders Game, but with adults and much more complicated.

I don't remember Last Starfighter. I was thinking it was a bit like Enders Game, but with adults and much more complicated.
Classic 80s movie where the aliens put an arcade machine on Earth resembling their actual starships and combat controls.
Some teenager beats the game so they recruit him to beat the bad guys in space.

I finished the series last night and it didn't disappoint. It is well worth the investment.

This throws a twist in the series...

But Lin did not live to see “3 Body Problem” premiere on Netflix last month, drawing millions of viewers.

He was poisoned to death in Shanghai in 2020, at age 39, by a disgruntled colleague, in a killing that riveted the country’s tech and video-gaming circles where he had been a prominent rising star.

This throws a twist in the series...

But Lin did not live to see “3 Body Problem” premiere on Netflix last month, drawing millions of viewers.

He was poisoned to death in Shanghai in 2020, at age 39, by a disgruntled colleague, in a killing that riveted the country’s tech and video-gaming circles where he had been a prominent rising star.
Were Benioff and Weiss supporters of Hilary Clinton?
Maybe they called in a favor......

Ill Just Leave Tony Hale GIF