TV Series 3 Body Problem

This throws a twist in the series...

But Lin did not live to see “3 Body Problem” premiere on Netflix last month, drawing millions of viewers.

He was poisoned to death in Shanghai in 2020, at age 39, by a disgruntled colleague, in a killing that riveted the country’s tech and video-gaming circles where he had been a prominent rising star.

Bizarre Chinese Murder Plot is what on the menu, number 53?

I liked it for the most part. The whole part where they stop talking to the guy when he said everyone lies was a bit dumb. They can create a whole virtual video game where you put on a headset, but they don't know what a fucking fairytale is or the concept of lying when they've clearly been deceiving everyone.

I binged it. Overall pretty entertaining but I think they could have done a better job fleshing out and explaining plot points. Maybe that was contained in the novels but cut out of the show.

It's a bit ridiculous at times, but generally an interesting storyline that I think they could do some fun things with.

For anyone interested, the original Chinese series Three Body (30 eps I think) is available on both Prime and Peacock.

I liked it for the most part. The whole part where they stop talking to the guy when he said everyone lies was a bit dumb. They can create a whole virtual video game where you put on a headset, but they don't know what a fucking fairytale is or the concept of lying when they've clearly been deceiving everyone.

This TV series glosses over the version of this scene in the book, which explains things better and in more detail. In the book, the San-Ti explain to Evans in that scene that they communicate in a way similar to telepathy: they "talk" by basically reading each others' minds, which makes it impossible for them to lie to each other, which is why it disturbs them so much to learn that humans lie in everyday conversation with each other. Due to the deadly conditions of their planet, their civilization is a totalitarian society that is completely fixated on survival and all-work-and-no-play, so they have essentially no art or entertainment, and thus no fairytales.

The San-Ti didn't make the video game. They gave Evans the VR technology to make the video game, and then his organization made the actual video game, including all the programming, textures, graphics, polygon models, characters, storyline, etc., and then gave the San-Ti access to communicate through the sword woman in the video game.

This adaptation is excellent. I will echo what others have said in that it appears Benioff & Weiss do amazing as long as they have written books to work with; things just fall apart for them when they run out of books and have to make up their own fanfiction.

I do think Netflix made a mistake in releasing the entire season at once. I think they would have been better off it they released it week by week to build up fan discussion and weekly word-of-mouth like Shogun and Game of Thrones.

This adaptation is excellent. I will echo what others have said in that it appears Benioff & Weiss do amazing as long as they have written books to work with; things just fall apart for them when they run out of books and have to make up their own fanfiction.

I do think Netflix made a mistake in releasing the entire season at once. I think they would have been better off it they released it week by week to build up fan discussion and weekly word-of-mouth like Shogun and Game of Thrones.
For a show this dense with material, I thought it was great to binge and have everything still be fresh.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought LotR : Rings of Power moved very slowly as a weekly release and would have preferred to binge that one, as well.

I think procedural shows, like True Detective or Lincoln Lawyer, are much better in a weekly release format.

But, everyone will have their own opinion on this, so I'm curious how others prefer to watch these types of shows.

For a show this dense with material, I thought it was great to binge and have everything still be fresh.

Your mileage may vary, but I thought LotR : Rings of Power moved very slowly as a weekly release and would have preferred to binge that one, as well.

I think procedural shows, like True Detective or Lincoln Lawyer, are much better in a weekly release format.

But, everyone will have their own opinion on this, so I'm curious how others prefer to watch these types of shows.
Most shows like this, I prefer to binge. I purposely waited on Ring of Power to be done so I could binge it, and agree it would be a slow mover if waiting every week.

The only one I actually watched weekly was Game of Thrones, but that was such a big thing and EVERYONE would be discussing it so you kind of had to watch to be able to talk about it. Plus GoT, and least the first 4-5 seasons was done in a way that it wasn't (or didn't seem) slow moving and you didn't mind waiting as the anticipation made it better in some ways. While Rings of Power was good, I don't think it would have held my interest as much if I had had to wait for each episode.

I also personally like to binge shows. What I was saying was that it would be better for Netflix, not the viewers, if the show was released over weeks, in that doing so would generate more fan discussion and word-of-mouth over time and thus increase their viewing numbers, because it's the type of show where there is a lot to talk about for each episode.

For example, on social media, I see posts about Shogun for week after week after week. But for 3 Body Problem, there was a small burst around the day of release, and then I have barely seen any more posts for that series ever since.

I also personally like to binge shows. What I was saying was that it would be better for Netflix, not the viewers, if the show was released over weeks, in that doing so would generate more fan discussion and word-of-mouth over time and thus increase their viewing numbers, because it's the type of show where there is a lot to talk about for each episode.

For example, on social media, I see posts about Shogun for week after week after week. But for 3 Body Problem, there was a small burst around the day of release, and then I have barely seen any more posts for that series ever since.
I hear ya.

To be fair, Netflix added 13M new subscribers in 4Q 2023.
And they are teaming up with WWE.

It's not like they need word of mouth, but there is something to be said for a week to week vibe for certain shows.

I stopped watching shogun after the 3rd episode because I figured I'd rather wait and binge the rest in one go.

did that for this season of True Detective

had no issues with spoilers on either, granted I rarely go into the office, so not a lot of water cooler talk. Whenever I ask about see anything good lately, it's mainly show or movie recommendations in general.

Binge for sure. I hate waiting on seasons.

While Rings of Power was good, I don't think it would have held my interest as much if I had had to wait for each episode.

I lost interest in Rings of Power and didn't make it through the season. Your explanation may be why. I plan on giving it another try before season 2 is out.

I lost interest in Rings of Power and didn't make it through the season. Your explanation may be why. I plan on giving it another try before season 2 is out.
Yeah, the production values for RoP were excellent, but the story moves very slowly.

I would say the same thing for Fallout.
Fantastic job of recreating the gaming experience, but the plot moves very slowly.
Fortunately, there is enough campy action and humor to keep us interested that RoP doesn't have.

Three. Episodes in. Not finding it edge of the seat material. It’s OK but…
I have no idea why they make that puffy lips Mexican gal smoke when she’s obviously not a smoker. She doesn’t even fake it well.

Three. Episodes in. Not finding it edge of the seat material. It’s OK but…
I have no idea why they make that puffy lips Mexican gal smoke when she’s obviously not a smoker. She doesn’t even fake it well.
If I see Eiza with bangs in another role

eiza-gonzalez-1.jpg

Now seen all 8.

Really not a lot happening at all. Watchable but I expected a lot more. Too much talk.