AL Central Talk

I love that Amed Rosario is playing 2B tonight so that esteemed glove wizard Kike Hernandez can handle shortstop for the Dodgers. Maybe Andres Gimenez will get a chance to play shortstop next year but I'm not holding my breath.

I love that Amed Rosario is playing 2B tonight so that esteemed glove wizard Kike Hernandez can handle shortstop for the Dodgers. Maybe Andres Gimenez will get a chance to play shortstop next year but I'm not holding my breath.

Nah they aint moving Gimenez off 2B where he is already elite.

Plus Cleveland has Arias at short stop right now who is a very promising defender.

Nah they aint moving Gimenez off 2B where he is already elite.

Plus Cleveland has Arias at short stop right now who is a very promising defender.

But can/will Arias hit? I think that's still an unanswered question.

You're sorta answering a different question than I am. If Arias and Gimenez are both going to be pieces in your everyday starting lineup then yeah, you just play Arias at SS and Gimenez at 2B since Arias is a good defender. But I'm thinking of it from a team building standpoint, I'm not assuming that Arias (or anyone currently in the organization) is going to be the other middle infielder.

If you have a player signed long term who you like and who is excellent at multiple positions then I think that generally speaking the way to maximize your overall value is to use him to lock down the position that is much harder to fill (or at least remain open to the idea) and try to find a fit for the position that is easier to fill. It's easier to find a 2B (or cut and paste over the spot) than it is to find a reliable SS.

But can/will Arias hit? I think that's still an unanswered question.

You're sorta answering a different question than I am. If Arias and Gimenez are both going to be pieces in your everyday starting lineup then yeah, you just play Arias at SS and Gimenez at 2B since Arias is a good defender. But I'm thinking of it from a team building standpoint, I'm not assuming that Arias (or anyone currently in the organization) is going to be the other middle infielder.

If you have a player signed long term who you like and who is excellent at multiple positions then I think that generally speaking the way to maximize your overall value is to use him to lock down the position that is much harder to fill (or at least remain open to the idea) and try to find a fit for the position that is easier to fill. It's easier to find a 2B (or cut and paste over the spot) than it is to find a reliable SS.

If Arias doesnt hit they have like 3 other options as well. Noteably Rocchio.

Gimenez is a high value player currently strictly because of how fucking good he is at 2B. Moving him off that is going to drain his value unless he ends up an elite short stop defensively which is unlikely and a risk thats not necessary.

If Arias doesnt hit they have like 3 other options as well. Noteably Rocchio.

Gimenez is a high value player currently strictly because of how fucking good he is at 2B. Moving him off that is going to drain his value unless he ends up an elite short stop defensively which is unlikely and a risk thats not necessary.

You and I disagree on that. And he will gain positional value with the move anyway.

As I said before, from a team building standpoint I would just rather lock down shortstop and look for a second baseman than vice versa.

You and I disagree on that. And he will gain positional value with the move anyway.

As I said before, from a team building standpoint I would just rather lock down shortstop and look for a second baseman than vice versa.

But you are disagreeing soley off the fact that you assume since a guy is elite at 1 position he can be elite at the more demanding position.

If Gimenez was a great at shortstop hed be a shortstop.

But you are disagreeing soley off the fact that you assume since a guy is elite at 1 position he can be elite at the more demanding position.

If Gimenez was a great at shortstop hed be a shortstop.

I'm not assuming anything. He has played a ton of shortstop and I've seen him play a ton of shortstop.

From what I recall he was moved from shortstop because Rosario had never played elsewhere and wasn't comfortable moving over (and was more of a veteran) while he was fine with it not because they thought he was incapable.

You seem to be assuming that your organization/front office made a good decision by moving him off of shortstop. I'm not sure why, don't they make plenty of mistakes?

Terry Francona's replacement is......A guy who was still playing in the MLB in 2022 and has exactly 1 year of coaching experience as a bullpen coach

Terry Francona's replacement is......A guy who was still playing in the MLB in 2022 and has exactly 1 year of coaching experience as a bullpen coach

That's the fastest I can remember someone going from being an active player to manager

Always liked Vogt. Hope he does well

Lol of course Cleveland wins the #1 pick in a year that Baseball America calls the weakest at the top in awhile.

Lol of course Cleveland wins the #1 pick in a year that Baseball America calls the weakest at the top in awhile.

I feel like that would make having a higher pick even more valuable. A lot can change with the draft, seeing as the college baseball season doesn't begin for another two months

I feel like that would make having a higher pick even more valuable. A lot can change with the draft, seeing as the college baseball season doesn't begin for another two months

Our 1st rounders seem to rarely pan out anyways, especially in the last 20 years. I kinda feel bad for whoever we take. I know the MLB draft is easily the biggest crap shoot of the major sports, but our 1st round bust rate is comically high.

Our 1st rounders seem to rarely pan out anyways, especially in the last 20 years. I kinda feel bad for whoever we take. I know the MLB draft is easily the biggest crap shoot of the major sports, but our 1st round bust rate is comically high.

At least it's looking better now. McKenzie had a very good 2022, though the injury derailed his 2023 season. Naylor and Williams had good MLB debuts. Espino looked promising, but injuries have really hampered his development the last two seasons.

Red Sox have had their share of 1st round whiffs. 2006-14 was a pretty rough stretch, the only one who amounted to anything were Kopech and Barnes. Idk if Swihart would have panned out but the Sox playing him in the outfield was dumb

At least it's looking better now. McKenzie had a very good 2022, though the injury derailed his 2023 season. Naylor and Williams had good MLB debuts. Espino looked promising, but injuries have really hampered his development the last two seasons.

Yea it's looking somewhat better lately. 2020 guy is a dud though.

2000-2015 was a real shit fest. Outside of Lindor, Drew Pomeranz (who did shit with Cleveland and definitely never lived up to his hype all around) and Tyler Naquin (not that great either) are the only ones even worth mentioning.

Yea it's looking somewhat better lately. 2020 guy is a dud though.

2000-2015 was a real shit fest. Outside of Lindor, Drew Pomeranz (who did shit with Cleveland and definitely never lived up to his hype all around) and Tyler Naquin are the only ones even worth mentioning.

I had honestly never heard of Carson Tucker until I saw that. Woof. DeLauter looked good this year, I really like the BA and BB/K rates

I'm still surprised Frazier and Zimmer didn't pan out, especially the former. I thought he'd be another Swisher type

I had honestly never heard of Carson Tucker until I saw that. Woof. DeLauter looked good this year, I really like the BA and BB/K rates

Yea Tucker was the "athletic projectable shortstop" type they've liked recently. Has not projected too well hitting the ball though in the minors. Lol.

I do like the strategy better now, they are finally taking more chances and going for boom type players. Their love for "safe" soft throwing "control" pitchers or soft hitting "speed" more defensive OFers from like 2000-2010 was maddening, none of those guys ever even got close to panning out.

Why oh why do I continue to draft baseball players for fantasy baseball who play in the AL Central? Their games are constantly postponed or canceled due to weather.

It can be mid August and it's raining in Cleveland. Wtf.