Alright, who's gearing up for fishing season?

These days, I mostly fish from my raft for trout, while floating the rivers. I won't let that braided line on my raft. Shit is dangerous on the river.
I don’t like braided line in general, especially on a baitcaster. Gotta tie those special knots for it, and heaven forbid you get a tangle. Might as well just cut it all off and put new line on your reel at that point.

I've never considered there is a fishing season. Everything is always in season everywhere in Texas, at least as far as I know.

I've never considered there is a fishing season. Everything is always in season everywhere in Texas, at least as far as I know.
There is no fishing season. I fish year round. But people do commonly call the periods between deer and turkey seasons as fishing season though.

These days, I mostly fish from my raft for trout, while floating the rivers. I won't let that braided line on my raft. Shit is dangerous on the river.
I got tired of dealing with twisted line and breaking off on stupid shit. The braid has no stretch and is resistant to most things. Love pulling my line straight out of a tree with the twigs attached lol.

you "warm weather" people psshhh.

We don't necessarily have a "fishing season" so much as "boating" season vs. "Freeze your ass off in a tent on the frozen lake" season.

I used to fish exclusively with bait casters, but after my fingernail barely touched the spool and caused an ungodly bird nest, I went back to fishing with the open faced spinning reels. I’ll fish with a Zebco 33 and get made fun of before I use a baitcaster for anything other than drop shot fishing again

I used to fish exclusively with bait casters, but after my fingernail barely touched the spool and caused an ungodly bird nest, I went back to fishing with the open faced spinning reels. I’ll fish with a Zebco 33 and get made fun of before I use a baitcaster for anything other than drop shot fishing again
The new baitcasters are really something. The DC line of baitcasters really prevents most of the birdnesting. I love them because you can just drop the bait right in to locations really easy. Whne you're boat fishing and aiming at shore, that's really helpful. But they suck at casting anything light. Spinning reals are really the best all around for everything. I usually take 3 reel/rod combos with me on a boat, my baitcaster, my spinning reel/rod combo and then my line counter baitcaster for jigging/trolling.

I don’t like braided line in general, especially on a baitcaster. Gotta tie those special knots for it, and heaven forbid you get a tangle. Might as well just cut it all off and put new line on your reel at that point.
I use a swivel for most stuff so I don't have to keep re-tying it. I also very literally carry an entire new spool of line just in case I need to cut it off and start over .

I use a swivel for most stuff so I don't have to keep re-tying it. I also very literally carry an entire new spool of line just in case I need to cut it off and start over .
I’m not that patient. I like having everything ready to go so I don’t have to fool with that stuff after I get started. I mean, I have spools of line in my tackle box. I only really use a swivel for a Carolina rig when striper fishing

I’m not that patient. I like having everything ready to go so I don’t have to fool with that stuff after I get started. I mean, I have spools of line in my tackle box. I only really use a swivel for a Carolina rig when striper fishing
my toxic fishing trait is that I'm too impatient to learn actual fishing knots, in spite of fishing regularly for basically 37 years. I've been showed them, even used them a couple times, but ultimately just get tired of trying to remember them. I tie everything with an overhand knot. Needs to be stronger? I tie a LOT of overhand knots lol. I've fished with swivels forever because you tie one knot and you're good. Doesn't seem to impact many lure performances and allows you to swap lures on and off as you please. Plus, it prevents line twist on things like in-line spinners.

I like swapping baits in and out, so I like having the ability to quickly do that.

my toxic fishing trait is that I'm too impatient to learn actual fishing knots, in spite of fishing regularly for basically 37 years. I've been showed them, even used them a couple times, but ultimately just get tired of trying to remember them. I tie everything with an overhand knot. Needs to be stronger? I tie a LOT of overhand knots lol. I've fished with swivels forever because you tie one knot and you're good. Doesn't seem to impact many lure performances and allows you to swap lures on and off as you please. Plus, it prevents line twist on things like in-line spinners.

I like swapping baits in and out, so I like having the ability to quickly do that.
I don’t think the knot I use is standard. It’s what I was shown as a kid and what I’ve always used. It doesn’t work with braided line though.

I swap lures some, but I just cut the line and re-tie

I don’t think the knot I use is standard. It’s what I was shown as a kid and what I’ve always used. It doesn’t work with braided line though.

I swap lures some, but I just cut the line and re-tie
giphy.gif

I also fish with more live bait than most. I like catching big fish. I go after catfish and striper pretty often. Only way I’m gonna need to retie there is if I have to break the line when snagged. I also go after gar a good bit, but a spot light and a cloth mop works well for those.

I really only need to retie when the crappie stop biting the current lure, or if I see a lot of bass hitting top water

I do my fishing at the home of an indigenous fella I know.

He gives me fileted sockeye and halibut with out all the fuss and muss.

Same here in FLA.