Anybody have luck selling their books on the internet?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
I am going to sell off most or all of my books. Anybody that has done this, I could use some input.

P.S. I would even sell y'all some cheap. PM me and we can discuss it.

Yeah, was helping a family member a couple year's back. You have two options really: get an agent to help you, and they'll take about 60-70% of whatever you bring in for it, or sell it yourself, a la carte on Ebay. The tricky part comes in knowing what you have has any value or not. Most of the time, it's better to just dump everything at a used book store and take whatever pennies they want to give you. Save what you absolutely love or make a case to give it to relatives.

Yeah, was helping a family member a couple year's back. You have two options really: get an agent to help you, and they'll take about 60-70% of whatever you bring in for it, or sell it yourself, a la carte on Ebay. The tricky part comes in knowing what you have has any value or not. Most of the time, it's better to just dump everything at a used book store and take whatever pennies they want to give you. Save what you absolutely love or make a case to give it to relatives.

I use AbeBooks as my research source. And a couple other. I have over 1000 volumes to move. Lots of modern 1st editions. My reading is fairly eclectic so the used bookstore may be easiest, especially if they pick up.

I use AbeBooks as my research source. And a couple other. I have over 1000 volumes to move. Lots of modern 1st editions. My reading is fairly eclectic so the used bookstore may be easiest, especially if they pick up.
Wow, that's a lot. And by "volumes" I assume these aren't John D. McDonald paperbacks and 1st edition Where's Waldo tomes. Yeah, I'd make an abbreviated list, call up 1-2 of the biggest used book places within 25 miles of your location, and just let them deal with it. Local library could be a good dumping ground for what's left, since it'd suck to put them out on the curb / trash.

I was a Star Wars nerd as a kid and had read pretty much all the Expanded Universe books that Disney then declared non-canon (fuck you Kathleen Kennedy). Gave them all except the few I have signed by authors to the local library. They were pretty happy about it

Give it a try, I heard it worked out really well for some guy named Bezos.

I am going to sell off most or all of my books. Anybody that has done this, I could use some input.

Why ya getting rid of em'?

List a few treasures ya got. I just scored myself an old hard back of The Gashlycrumb Tinies for under $10. Felt like stealing.

Ugh, I know I'm going to have to do the same thing a few years from now. And I know that the vast majority of my collection is going to be considered crap by most other people. Too much work to find out what kind of market there might be for any first-edition collectibles I have. Sure, there is likely SOMEbody out there in the country who would love to have it and might even pay good coin for it, but how do we find each other?

Good luck, @Kburjr

I've had a little bit of experience with selling collectibles on eBay and here is my advice: stack them next to your computer and start with the least-valuable first and just start listing them all at auction with a starting bid of one cent and let them go.

Otherwise, if you're close to a major reseller, come have them give you cash for the lot. They'll give you pennies on the dollar but you won't have to deal with assholes on eBay.

I did pretty well selling textbooks on Amazon back in the say. Well as in i got rid of that shit

Anyone interested in vintage cereals? Visit my Ebay store

As a first cut, I'd separate the first editions from the rest, then dump the non first editions. Save the first editions for further evaluation.

Do you have that rare Fruit Brute circa 1978?
KAWS-Monsters-Frute-Brute-Cereal-Limited-Edition-in-Acrylic-Case-Not-Fit-For-Human-Consumption-3.jpg

Why ya getting rid of em'?

List a few treasures ya got. I just scored myself an old hard back of The Gashlycrumb Tinies for under $10. Felt like stealing.
Top 10 by estimated value
The Hunt for Red October 1st Edition, early printing by Tom Clancy
End of a SilenceGray, Willard D.
Of Guns and Dogs and Men (1st Printing)Jezioro, Frank
Philosophy Paradox and Discovery 5th editionShipka, Thomas
Pistol and Revolver Shooting (McMillan 1945 1st Printing)Roper, Walter F.
Tales of Quails 'n Such (2nd Printing, Dec 1951)Babcock, Havilah
The Hunting RifleO'Connor, Jack
Counterfeit Detection: A Reprint from The NumismatistANA
The Valis Trilogy (Quality Paperback Club edition)Dick, Philip K.
Wisconsin Death TripLesy, Michael

These are all estimated at $50+