Movie Beau Is Afraid (2023)

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Been waiting for this one for years now. Ari Aster's 3rd film and his follow up to Midsommar which in my mind is a classic. This was supposed to come out last year but was 4 hours long and the studio wanted him to cut it down a bit. I think the final cut is now around 3 hours.

Shame no one showing any interest in what will likely be the beat movie this year from the best young director out there right now.

A24 doesn’t make bad movies, but this does have a Big Fish vibe, and I didn’t like that movie at all.

Not sure why anyone is drawn to this movie

Because it's the third film form Ari Aster and his first two movies were great. Hereditary and Midsommar. He has a chance to do a rare thing as a director and release 3 straight great movies and it will solidify him as the best young director out there right now.

Because it's the third film form Ari Aster and his first two movies were great. Hereditary and Midsommar. He has a chance to do a rare thing as a director and release 3 straight great movies and it will solidify him as the best young director out there right now.
Has anyone seen those great movies besides you?

Has anyone seen those great movies besides you?

Yeah certainly. That's the big reason why this film is the highest budget movie that A24 has ever made. You're missing out if you haven't. Hereditary is a disturbing and excellently made horror movie. Midsommar is a very disturbing movie in it's own right but I wouldn't classify it as horror. Just very uniquely and shockingly disturbing as well as genuinely funny at parts. Midsommar is also the movie that really kicked up Florence Pugh's rise as an actress.

Yeah certainly. That's the big reason why this film is the highest budget movie that A24 has ever made. You're missing out if you haven't. Hereditary is a disturbing and excellently made horror movie. Midsommar is a very disturbing movie in it's own right but I wouldn't classify it as horror. Just very uniquely and shockingly disturbing as well as genuinely funny at parts. Midsommar is also the movie that really kicked up Florence Pugh's rise as an actress.

I’m happy for you.

Hey
I'll give most movies a try if they aren't Super Hero action bullshit movies made for 12 year olds.

I wonder what movie is exactly like this one, but isn't actually exactly like this one.

Just saw it in IMAX. If nothing else there is certainly no other movie like it. I was hopeful but wasn't sure exactly how similiar it would be to the short-story movie Beua he made years ago when he was starting out. Not only was it similiar but that 5-10 minute short film was basically built into part of the movie.

The movie, especially the first hour was like a fever dream. Just made you feel incredibly anxious and unnerving as it was an nonstop bad turns in a just a hyper insane reality. After the first hour it calms and slows things down a bit but I think it's only to lull you in a false sense of calm only to hit you with a turn for the worse when you don't see it coming that turns things on it's head.

Had two people walk out after the opening scene. Other time I saw an Ari Aster movie in theaters was Midsommar and it had people walking out too but that was throughout the movie. These were the only 2 people to walk out and I couldn't believe it. What are you expecting coming to an Ari Aster movie that the opening scene was going to cause them to walk out? Probably a good idea for them because that opening scene was mild to the rest of that movie.