Belief systems

tangent: "killing spree" is widely-accepted by nearly all human societies as "the greatest sin", but the Bible repeated states that sin is sin and they're all equally damnable. An unrepentant drunk is just as damnable as an unrepentant murderer. An unrepentant drunk is MORE damnable than a repentant murderer.

I also got into a conversation about equally damnable offenses... He told me that murder is worse than other sins (i.e abortion) and I disagreed. I said a sin is a sin

I also got into a conversation about equally damnable offenses... He told me that murder is worse than other sins (i.e abortion) and I disagreed. I said a sin is a sin
Tell people who say that to direct you to where in the Bible it states murder is worse. They won't because it doesn't. That's a human society rule, not God's rule.

Amen, Brother. Those who know everything are unaware there are things that are unknown ... which is basically everything.

socrates-quotes-05.jpg

tumblr_owjt5oanHF1qicspho1_500.gif

same question applies if you are right....

if there isn't a Jesus or an afterlife. what stops you from going on a killing spree?
well in my belief. I believe religion was created to control the masses. It preaches the same thing as Politics. Which does the same thing.
It preaches Hopes & Fears. Do this & you get this. Dont do this or this will happen. (put in a very simple way)
but this is kinda my point. if we knew these answers in a more definite way. This world could be a much more evil place.
Honestly. If the world only believed in one religion, (doesnt matter which one) I think this place would be a much more fucked up place. Like I said religion was created to manipulate the people. Imagine if you only had one choice. Multiple choices at least keep the powers that be in religions in check somewhat.

tangent: "killing spree" is widely-accepted by nearly all human societies as "the greatest sin", but the Bible repeated states that sin is sin and they're all equally damnable. An unrepentant drunk is just as damnable as an unrepentant murderer. An unrepentant drunk is MORE damnable than a repentant murderer.

Tell people who say that to direct you to where in the Bible it states murder is worse. They won't because it doesn't. That's a human society rule, not God's rule.
that is my understanding in christian religions as well. All sins are equal.

well in my belief. I believe religion was created to control the masses. It preaches the same thing as Politics. Which does the same thing.
It preaches Hopes & Fears. Do this & you get this. Dont do this or this will happen. (put in a very simple way)
but this is kinda my point. if we knew these answers in a more definite way. This world could be a much more evil place.
Honestly. If the world only believed in one religion, (doesnt matter which one) I think this place would be a much more fucked up place. Like I said religion was created to manipulate the people. Imagine if you only had one choice. Multiple choices at least keep the powers that be in religions in check somewhat.
Politics and religion are both rooted in personal accountability, but where they greatly differ is to whom we are accountable and how accountability is enforced.

Religious accountability is to a theoretical deity and is enforced primarily by oneself.
Political accountability is to a government and is enforced by that government.

I am Christian - as in I do my best to follow Christ's teachings and examples. Personally, I greatly prefer religious accountability over political accountability because:
- governments are comprised of humans who are easily corruptible
- I prefer controlling myself over having other humans control me
- True Christians deploy humility and compassion as a means to success while the government deploys (easily corruptible) authoritative power which often results in wars.

I believe Christ's teachings are very practical and are proven thoroughly successful if correctly followed.

Politics and religion are both rooted in personal accountability, but where they greatly differ is to whom we are accountable and how accountability is enforced.

Religious accountability is to a theoretical deity and is enforced primarily by oneself.

I am Christian - as in I do my best to follow Christ's teachings and examples. Personally, I greatly prefer religious accountability over political accountability because:
- True Christians deploy humility and compassion as a means to success while the government deploys (easily corruptible) authoritative power which often results in wars.

I believe Christ's teachings are very practical and are proven thoroughly successful if correctly followed.
You cant dispute that religion has been used to control people.

You cant dispute that religion has been used to control people.
And I absolutely won't. It's been proven. The Crusades were control of people in the name of religion. But the distinction is that religion wasn't the catalyst, it was the tool. The true catalyst was human greed and lust for power.

well I am talking in their basic simplest form. You are now getting into the layers of the two. Politics are created to divide & conquer. You divide the Masses you now control the Masses. But in simplest form. They preach hopes & fears to manipulate their people for their needs & they will change accordingly to keep that power over their people.
Politics if done the way it was meant to be. Would be a better form of politics. But it is corrupt. So its not.
Same with religion. People like you who become religious to make themselves a better person. I am all for those types of people. But realistically Religion is used for power. & even those ignorant of their own religion often act better than the next guy, (those were the ones I used to love to debate with) So in its own right. Religion is very corruptible of the mind as well. But to your point. I would say the percentage of politicians is much higher than the religious person. But any high ranking (lack of a better word) religious person, are almost all corrupted as well.

I'll be honest with ya. I grew up in the streets & some of the shadest (& in a way heartless) people I have ever met have been some religious person with some status with their church. So some of you good people may not see it. (or want to see it) but it is there in religion as well as politics.

And I absolutely won't. It's been proven. The Crusades were control of people in the name of religion. But the distinction is that religion wasn't the catalyst, it was the tool. The true catalyst was human greed and lust for power.
that is the key. Power will 100% corrupt in the end.

well I am talking in their basic simplest form. You are now getting into the layers of the two. Politics are created to divide & conquer. You divide the Masses you now control the Masses. But in simplest form. They preach hopes & fears to manipulate their people for their needs & they will change accordingly to keep that power over their people.
Politics if done the way it was meant to be. Would be a better form of politics. But it is corrupt. So its not.
Same with religion. People like you who become religious to make themselves a better person. I am all for those types of people. But realistically Religion is used for power. & even those ignorant of their own religion often act better than the next guy, (those were the ones I used to love to debate with) So in its own right. Religion is very corruptible of the mind as well. But to your point. I would say the percentage of politicians is much higher than the religious person. But any high ranking (lack of a better word) religious person, are almost all corrupted as well.

I'll be honest with ya. I grew up in the streets & some of the shadest (& in a way heartless) people I have ever met have been some religious person with some status with their church. So some of you good people may not see it. (or want to see it) but it is there in religion as well as politics.
I don't disagree with you. Lots of corruption in religion, too, and that's why I frequently draw a distinct line between 'Christians' and 'True Christians'. Personally, I'm much much tougher on fake Christians than I am on non-Christians just as Christ was much tougher on Pharisees & Sadducees than prostitutes & thieves.

100% - rounded up. There are exceptions - starting with Christ.
well I would have to be religious to be able to agree with you here, but since 100% does freak people out & in the spirit of there is alway an exception to the rule. 99.9% :becky:

I'm agnostic, but have no issues going to church (Methodist) each week with my family. Overall, I think the lessons taught are compliments to the moral and citizenship lessons my children learn at home and school. Essentially, the golden rule/love one another/etc, which most major religions hold dear. I do not believe that one religion is above another or those that do not hold any religious beliefs.

Should my children question religion, I will encourage them to seek out their own truth, as I do.

Raised Methodist but converted to Catholicism.

just curious, why the conversion?
It was just something I believed in. My parents were upset that I changed religions but now they don't mention it anymore.

It was just something I believed in. My parents were upset that I changed religions but now they don't mention it anymore.

okay, but, i guess my question would be, what is it about Catholicism that convinced you that you'd be better off within that realm of Christianity, as opposed to the one you'd been raised up within?