Blackstone

Link not working maybe?
View attachment 72714
i havent actually decided on a size yet the wife wants to try it out and i cant justify 300 bucks for something i dont see an immediate "need" for a standalone device id rather just spend 150 and get the top and be able to do what i want when i want lol

How do you keep the flat top from rusting when not in use, or over the winter ??
My neighbors have one from Home Depot and they let it sit out in the rain over the winter and that thing rusted up big time. Mine is undercover and I seasoned it like Blackstone recommended and will always add a thin coat of cooking oil after I use it, that should keep mine from rusting.

@fordman84 mine has a port on the backside that channels the grease to a grease trap that I can throw away. My neighbor has a V channel at the front and you have to scrape towards you, which isn't nice. I take a 4 inch putty knife to scrape the grease and I can also use it to flip onions, hashbrowns and move cooked stuff from one side of the griddle to the other. I like doing carne asda so the 36inch platform is nice when you are doing the tortillas and keeping the carne warm. However when I'm doing burgers I'm really only using half the griddle to cook on and the other side is nice to warm up buns and keep grilled onions and bacon warm.

i havent actually decided on a size yet the wife wants to try it out and i cant justify 300 bucks for something i dont see an immediate "need" for a standalone device id rather just spend 150 and get the top and be able to do what i want when i want lol
When and if you get one make sure the griddle is 3/8 inch thick otherwise the thinner ones will tend to warp.

My neighbors have one from Home Depot and they let it sit out in the rain over the winter and that thing rusted up big time. Mine is undercover and I seasoned it like Blackstone recommended and will always add a thin coat of cooking oil after I use it, that should keep mine from rusting.

@fordman84 mine has a port on the backside that channels the grease to a grease trap that I can throw away. My neighbor has a V channel at the front and you have to scrape towards you, which isn't nice. I take a 4 inch putty knife to scrape the grease and I can also use it to flip onions, hashbrowns and move cooked stuff from one side of the griddle to the other. I like doing carne asda so the 36inch platform is nice when you are doing the tortillas and keeping the carne warm. However when I'm doing burgers I'm really only using half the griddle to cook on and the other side is nice to warm up buns and keep grilled onions and bacon warm.
Part of the reason I got mine is it has a folding hard cover on it. The cover is split in half and when it opens up left and right, those become the work tables. Then I have a soft cover I put over that. It will still rust up if not seasoned correctly or left to sit too long because condensation will get under there. But if it rusts up you just sand it and re season it. If it is really bad rust then you use an angle grinder to get it back to bare metal and season it.

Reactions: Fog
Part of the reason I got mine is it has a folding hard cover on it. The cover is split in half and when it opens up left and right, those become the work tables. Then I have a soft cover I put over that. It will still rust up if not seasoned correctly or left to sit too long because condensation will get under there. But if it rusts up you just sand it and re season it. If it is really bad rust then you use an angle grinder to get it back to bare metal and season it.
I like the idea of the work tables.

Hopefully it's something I'll use enough year around that I don't have to worry about rust. My neighbors don't have something to stand under if it's raining I do.

Going to try and cook some Salmon on mine here in the next few days to see how it works for fish. Might have to try fish tacos on it too.

I like the idea of the work tables.

Hopefully it's something I'll use enough year around that I don't have to worry about rust. My neighbors don't have something to stand under if it's raining I do.

Going to try and cook some Salmon on mine here in the next few days to see how it works for fish. Might have to try fish tacos on it too.
There are some great YouTube channels for these guys. I've seen them use disposable foil pans, fill them with oil, put them on the flattop, and then fry things in them. Never would have thought that. But the foil is thin enough the heat goes right through. Brilliant!

Reactions: Fog
281374417_10227220017515836_875888248891661512_n.jpg

Grilling Onions and Mushrooms....

We need some updates on these things.
How and what are they cooking today.

You can get a smaller one than the big 36" guys. I am still in the mode of perfecting my timing, but being able to cook an entire breakfast at once is pretty amazing. Bacon on one side, hash browns in the middle, toast on the other side, and then finish with some eggs back on the bacon grease side. You can have the entire breakfast done in 4-5 minutes and feed everyone and it's all hot at the same time.

So, does it hold heat very well?? are there hot/cold spots in it that are annoying or you have to get used to??? , and how is it from one side to the other at different temps.

We need some updates on these things.
How and what are they cooking today.
I ended up getting a 16x24 camp chef cast iron griddle, used it a few times and can see myself switching over to a full griddle grill to replace when I buy something new. We're looking for clearance sales at end of season to hopefully upgrade. It's going to be put in my outdoor kitchen I'ma build. We did breakfast and stuff and immediately said I want counters for all this (bacon eggs pancakes) so that'll be in the works too but also planning on patio expansion so not sure where I want to build it yet

These things don't come with a lid, so are they 'hotter' than a grill with a lid that closes up.
and I mean like when you are standing around it talking to people.

Seems like these things churn out the heat, but maybe not that bad.