Building Drawers into Workbench

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 28,020.00
Thought I would throw this out to the board for tips and tricks, if anyone has any.

I have a super solid workbench in the garage. All 4x4’s and 2x6’s. Built it to be overkill. All it has is the top and a full shelf on the bottom.

Since I’ve been getting more into woodworking I’ve been accumulating tools and toys to the point that it’s just a god damn mess out there. Limited working space up top and I spend half my time finding things I need.

I’ve been looking around and thinking of building a plywood box I can attach into the inside frame of the workbench, and build some drawers into it for storage.

Anyone done something like this before and have any tips? I’ve picked up a bit looking around, but will need to custom spec this as best as I can before I start producing supplies and making cuts.

Thought I would throw this out to the board for tips and tricks, if anyone has any.

I have a super solid workbench in the garage. All 4x4’s and 2x6’s. Built it to be overkill. All it has is the top and a full shelf on the bottom.

Since I’ve been getting more into woodworking I’ve been accumulating tools and toys to the point that it’s just a god damn mess out there. Limited working space up top and I spend half my time finding things I need.

I’ve been looking around and thinking of building a plywood box I can attach into the inside frame of the workbench, and build some drawers into it for storage.

Anyone done something like this before and have any tips? I’ve picked up a bit looking around, but will need to custom spec this as best as I can before I start producing supplies and making cuts.
Need pics

Need pics
Yeah.....I should have mentioned that. Obviously it does need pics to best share. Problem is the bench is blocked out by Christmas crap that goes up to the attic tomorrow.

I’ll grab a shot then and put it up to help.

Yeah.....I should have mentioned that. Obviously it does need pics to best share. Problem is the bench is blocked out by Christmas crap that goes up to the attic tomorrow.

I’ll grab a shot then and put it up to help.
Like anything, its hard to tell without pics, and there is probably 100 ways to accomplish what you want. Whether you built a cabinet, with drawers, that slides under, or you just put some simple vertical slats to support the drawer hardware.

I had a work bench years ago, and I just built in some shelves, that would hold these 16" x 20" x 8 (height) little totes, or bins. Just slid them in and out, and they fit snug enough to not need lids.

Well, I did it. Sorry to put it out to the board and never come back with pics. The mess that had to be cleaned up first was a bear and from there I just jumped in with both feet.

Biggest lesson....the opening inside the workbench was not fully square, but that didn’t stop me from building the cabinet exactly to the specs. And.....it was way too tight of a fit for the assembled cabinet. I ended up spending way too much time with electric planer and chisel paring down the legs of the workbench to squeeze it in.

So, it’s ugly but completely functional and I feel like I can breathe out there now....and actually get shit done.

Edit...well....I can’t get a pic to post for some reason....now that I actually took one to show.

@HammerDown ...are there new rules on file size for attachments? It’s just a pic from my phone, but it says the file is too large for the server to process.