Bye bye, iMessage

Wouldn't a VPN do the same thing?
Nope. All messaging apps except Session use your phone number as an identifier (amongst others) and send metadata.

A VPN serves a completely different function.

If a messaging app requires your phone number upon signing up, you're being tracked. Period.

you're so weird
Leonardo Dicaprio Thank You GIF by SAG Awards

Nope. All messaging apps except Session use your phone number as an identifier (amongst others) and send metadata.

If a messaging app requires your phone number upon signing up, you're being tracked. Period.
I check the early reviews on Session. Still a bit buggy resulting in less than attractive ratings. Something to keep an eye on.

i once signed up for google voice.

used the persons phone next to my desk for the verification call.....

I check the early reviews on Session. Still a bit buggy resulting in less than attractive ratings. Something to keep an eye on.
It's the only app in the world that sends messages in true 256-bit encryption with zero identifiers or metadata. "A little buggy" is of zero concern to me in the face of Meta/Whatsapp and Apple tracking.