Car you learned to drive on.

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
I was 14 years old.

My uncle had 320 acres and a 1967 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd 4spd. 1st gear was actually a granny gear, so practically, it was a 3 speed on the street.
It was also a 6 cyl.

He would throw me the keys and tell me to go learn and drive it, and have me haul some shit to the barn or something.
It was great practice. I thrashed that mother, and it didn't even phase it.

Went on the country roads, around the property, cruised everywhere.

Never saw anybody.

Here it is.
Looked just like this.

1628133426593.png

It wasn't the only vehicle I drove, but the one I got the most experience on before my test.

My Grandpas GMC Sierra, My Dads F150 and his Plymouth Horizon.

Still have the Sierra.

9A5A037E-8EE5-427D-922E-DDD491FBBE6F.jpeg
Almost exactly this. But has a topper, some rust and a spare tire on the front. And most all of my lawn/outdoor equipment in the bed.

12 years old, 88, some shitty Chevy luv pickup, manual 4x4.

a8cbe7a29ffcba5da272e9329170c233.jpg

Kinda like this, with aftermarket wheels and tires. We would go out to the Mint 400 races, and the second we left paved road, I was left to drive the drinking adults to the camp site. I had already driven dirt bikes and quads, so I was familiar with the clutch.
My step dad started showing me, and I just got it, and they all cracked beers and started laughing. I was the designated driver before it was a thing. Then on the drive out they would be yelling at me to slow down when they were sleeping off hangovers.

66 Chevy Nova II. 6cyl, automatic, no power steering or brakes. It was a real dog and the faded dark blue paint made it look uglier than it would have otherwise........... if that's possible.

Kinda like this one.
Purchase used 1966 Chevy II Nova 4 Door Sedan in Boyertown, Pennsylvania,  United States, for US $5,750.00

1955 Chevy pickup with a stick, got to drive it around in the field.

Then when I was 15 I bought a 1963 BelAir that was up on blocks. Got it home and got it running and Dad would let me drive the gravel road to the black top and back until I got my license.

I also drove a big Chevy 7500 farm truck with three on the tree and first gear was so low it wound out at 3 mph.
Come to think of it, I drove my grandfather’s 1963 Ford Falcon Ranchero with three on the tree before driving the Corona. The Corona would still be the first vehicle I drove on pavement though.

Did you and Hank take turns sharing that car??

Datsun 411, not a Toyota Corona.

I remember practising backing up and going forward in the driveway/carport.

I was hot shit until I backed up with the drivers door open and it bending forwards a lot more than it should have as it hooked the sundeck support post.

12 years old, 88, some shitty Chevy luv pickup, manual 4x4.

a8cbe7a29ffcba5da272e9329170c233.jpg

Kinda like this, with aftermarket wheels and tires. We would go out to the Mint 400 races, and the second we left paved road, I was left to drive the drinking adults to the camp site. I had already driven dirt bikes and quads, so I was familiar with the clutch.
My step dad started showing me, and I just got it, and they all cracked beers and started laughing. I was the designated driver before it was a thing. Then on the drive out they would be yelling at me to slow down when they were sleeping off hangovers.
I forgot to mention the one I learned in had a camper shell. Not the big honking one, but ya know. So it would usually be, my step dad, and an uncle or a buddy of my step dads. Those fuckers slept in the bed of the truck and made me sleep on top of the camper shell.