Castle Joint Tips

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 28,020.00
I am in the process of making a bed frame for our special needs 18 year old. I’ve been researching since the kid is a big boy and does not go easy on furniture with his absent minded flopping.

I’ve landed on that a bed of castle joinery would probably give us the more durable bed frame for him.

Anyone have any tips on executing a castle joint?

Also, I am interested on anyone’s thoughts regarding single piece castle joints, or the additive joinery approach.

I probably gave the tools I need to make the legs out of a 4x4 single piece, but would prefer to do additive. I’m curious though just how durable an additive castle joint will be strictly as a glue up piece.

Appreciate anyone’s time and insight on this.

I had to look up castle joint, but when I did it was pretty badass.
I swear I have seen a commercial for this exact jointed bed lately.

I'll think of the name later.

You have all the tools needed you say ? Doesn't look that complicated with the right tools.

I had to look up castle joint, but when I did it was pretty badass.
I swear I have seen a commercial for this exact jointed bed lately.

I'll think of the name later.

You have all the tools needed you say ? Doesn't look that complicated with the right tools.
Yep. Thuma.

Big brother heard us talking new bed for the kid and I started getting ads for it. $1100. No thanks.

However, it started me reading up. I was going to make a simple bed using pocket holes. But the kid is a bit over 200lbs this point and is an absent minded bull in a China closet….so I want to make an effort that has a chance to last.

As for tools….I have a good set of chisels and solid pull saw. I’ve played around on scrap before doing other joinery like this so I think I can do it.

However, I think what I would prefer to do is additive joinery. Instead of one 4x4 I cut the joint out of it’s made out of glue up of multiple pieces to the post and joints.

It’s simpler, and honestly looks more fun to me. I’m just not sure how well a glued up additive joinery post will handle the beatings.

I’ve gotten some other advice that a solid piece 4x4 cut into this joint could be more prone to cracking itself.