Computer Experts, Need Help

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 5,797.00
I've got this cheap gateway that I brought back in service after my dell laid down. Wife was using it and it took spells of just turning itself on and off so I got her a new one.
Troubleshooting indicated power supply so I put a new one in, then it started again, more troubleshooting indicated faulty ram so I bought a new stick and put it in. It worked fine for a few months.

Now it's back to the same old shit. I can use it for a day and it works fine, then it will suddenly shut itself off. Then it might work fine for 2 days or 5 minutes. Most times I can just push the power button and it comes back one. At rare times it won't. When the power button appears dead I've found I can unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on with the power button again.

Anyone have any tips for me?

I've got 4-5 old desktops, a few crt monitors, and a 56 inch tv I need to get rid of. Shooting them with 5.56 or 9mm would be fun, clean up would be a bitch. I guess I could put a cheap plastic tarp under them and shovel up the remains.

I've got this cheap gateway that I brought back in service after my dell laid down. Wife was using it and it took spells of just turning itself on and off so I got her a new one.
Troubleshooting indicated power supply so I put a new one in, then it started again, more troubleshooting indicated faulty ram so I bought a new stick and put it in. It worked fine for a few months.

Now it's back to the same old shit. I can use it for a day and it works fine, then it will suddenly shut itself off. Then it might work fine for 2 days or 5 minutes. Most times I can just push the power button and it comes back one. At rare times it won't. When the power button appears dead I've found I can unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on with the power button again.

Anyone have any tips for me?
Question I would have is -- when it shuts off does it make any beeps? The behavior when it shuts off should indicate what's going on. If it just shuts off with no indication, no sounds, ect -- makes me think something is wrong with the actual motherboard. Also, is this a laptop or a desktop?

You could buy a new laptop for about 300 bucks. And it's probably faster than the one you are buying parts for.