DIY Mice Infestation?

Just a couple of days ago I spotted a mouse in my kitchen and bought a variety of traps. He was captured the following morning, but in my room I spotted one at dusk, and I unearthed what looked like the beginning of a nest (dirt, torn paper) and one scurried off. I believe there’s another one as I heard them climbing into something (my dresser) or a wall outlet next to the dresser looks protruded at the bottom.

Other than the obvious tactics of placing traps, is there any other suggestions? Anyone else ever dealt with this and eradicated them without getting pest control involved? What even would pest control do?
they love antifreeze.

Release a few snakes, problem solved. I put every black snake and rat snake I can catch in my shed

Just a couple of days ago I spotted a mouse in my kitchen and bought a variety of traps. He was captured the following morning, but in my room I spotted one at dusk, and I unearthed what looked like the beginning of a nest (dirt, torn paper) and one scurried off. I believe there’s another one as I heard them climbing into something (my dresser) or a wall outlet next to the dresser looks protruded at the bottom.

Other than the obvious tactics of placing traps, is there any other suggestions? Anyone else ever dealt with this and eradicated them without getting pest control involved? What even would pest control do?
Get a fuck ton of the ultra sonic rodent repellent devices.

Release a few snakes, problem solved. I put every black snake and rat snake I can catch in my shed

I would know rats in a Biblical sense before allowing a snake to live in my vicinity. As a teen I had a couple of close encounters with rattlers and have yet to get over the fear. All snakes are rattle headed copper mouths IMHO.

Well, did you get the rat sirens?

I would know rats in a Biblical sense before allowing a snake to live in my vicinity. As a teen I had a couple of close encounters with rattlers and have yet to get over the fear. All snakes are rattle headed copper mouths IMHO.
I grew up catching snakes. I'm not stupid, I'm not gonna go run up and pick up a rattlesnake, but I have zero fear of snakes.

Spiders and centipedes are my biggest fears, but really, I' not fond of any bug that doesn't fly.

I echo @Mofo in that you need to take care of the problem along with the symptom. Walk the outside of your home and seal up any cracks and holes. Mice can essentially get into anywhere their head will fit, so if there's a nickel sized hole, then they can get in. You'll also want to clean up any debris you have on your property, as that is where field mice will nest and move into your home looking for food or a warm place come winter.

Once you've gotten the entry points taken care of, there are options such as no kill traps, basic spring loaded kill traps, your traps, and poison. If you have pets or have neighbors with pets, I'd avoid poison, as they can get into it themselves or eventually catch/scavenge a mouse that has already eaten the poison and get it into their system.

I've heard about the Irish spring soap shavings to help deter them, but have never tried them, so I can't speak to their effectivenss, nor that of essential oil deterrents.

I grew up catching snakes. I'm not stupid, I'm not gonna go run up and pick up a rattlesnake, but I have zero fear of snakes.

Spiders and centipedes are my biggest fears, but really, I' not fond of any bug that doesn't fly.

We were walking a creekbank when I was 14 and got way too close to a rattler laid out about head high on a rocky bluff. We got wayyyyyyyy too close and were in striking distance before we saw it. We backed out of the situation without getting struck at but what could have been scared the living shit out of me. Both of us had a 20 gauge and killed it, but damn ...

Last edited:
I ain't got no mice, because I gots one of these vermin grinders:

View attachment 1782 ...and he's vicious.
Damn good mouser... so is this one. Mine's not so vicious unless you are a cat or a rodent.

MiniaturePinscher-GettyImages-688980471-8bc0643dded0498580d10e740e9dbecd.jpg

I echo @Mofo in that you need to take care of the problem along with the symptom. Walk the outside of your home and seal up any cracks and holes. Mice can essentially get into anywhere their head will fit, so if there's a nickel sized hole, then they can get in. You'll also want to clean up any debris you have on your property, as that is where field mice will nest and move into your home looking for food or a warm place come winter.

Once you've gotten the entry points taken care of, there are options such as no kill traps, basic spring loaded kill traps, your traps, and poison. If you have pets or have neighbors with pets, I'd avoid poison, as they can get into it themselves or eventually catch/scavenge a mouse that has already eaten the poison and get it into their system.

I've heard about the Irish spring soap shavings to help deter them, but have never tried them, so I can't speak to their effectivenss, nor that of essential oil deterrents.
Irish springs works pretty great. Highly recommended for RVs en the likes