Do you like the new NCAA eligibility rules?

Cliffs? Didn't read what they were

Extra year of eligibility to all fall players. Regardless to how many games you play.
Oh, wow. Gonna be a lot of "processing" going on

One one hand, this is fine. Basically, still 85/25, and seniors don't count against the 85. Easiest way to make it work. No need to move the 85.

The problem is what teams can afford to carry 100 scholarship players? Assuming 15 seniors. The G5 can't. The big boys have the revenue, but mid-tier P5 teams like Iowa State, Kansas, UTjr, Stanford, UW, might not.

One one hand, this is fine. Basically, still 85/25, and seniors don't count against the 85. Easiest way to make it work. No need to move the 85.

The problem is what teams can afford to carry 100 scholarship players? Assuming 15 seniors. The G5 can't. The big boys have the revenue, but mid-tier P5 teams like Iowa State, Kansas, UTjr, Stanford, UW, might not.
Why not? It's not going to be THAT much more. You won't be traveling with full rosters

What's the extra cost? I don't get why a school bothers to worry about it, as utterly overpriced as tuition and housing is.

Now if you're saying the housing is a problem, then perhaps, but we aren't talking about many additional bodies anyway.

I mean it gives not blue bloods one good recruiting pitch for a year maybe two. Fans and school should love this but this really sucks for that 4 or 5 star recruit at a blue blood school that doesn’t flash big as a freshmen or sophomore.

The reason why they did it across the board was because if a school starts out the season with 2 losses in the first 4 games, you would see a lot of D'Erique King's at UH last season. They will blame the bad start on Covid and sit out to preserve their eligibility.. With this rule now, it makes that a much less chance of it happening. Great season to play your young guys and see what they can do

The reason why they did it across the board was because if a school starts out the season with 2 losses in the first 4 games, you would see a lot of D'Erique King's at UH last season. They will blame the bad start on Covid and sit out to preserve their eligibility.. With this rule now, it makes that a much less chance of it happening. Great season to play your young guys and see what they can do

You nailed it! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the reason was because it gave so much of an advantage to some players/schools. It is a ridiculous advantage. So it is a bad rule to take care of shitty situations. Kinda like how they pass bad laws because of bad cases. Life ain't fair is it? But if you're smart you just figure out the angles and make the most of it. Thank you D'Erique for being a puss.

Makes sense to me. Who knows if the season survives the fall. It would suck to lose a year of eligibility if the season gets canceled after 5 or so games.

Clemson about to get Trevor Lawrence for 3 more seasons and ETN for 2 more. They about to set records that will never be broken

Clemson about to get Trevor Lawrence for 3 more seasons and ETN for 2 more. They about to set records that will never be broken

Mtv Shut Up GIF

Yeah, what he said.
As I said in my post, it will put the hurt on the G5. Hell, they are already dropping sports left and right, you think they can afford the cost of 15-25 more scholarship players. As to the P5, Iowa just dropped a bunch of sports that had a budget of $500K or so. The lower tier P5 are going to lose 20-50 million or more. Yet you act like an extra $500K here, million there is no big deal. I assert it is.

Let's say the average hard cost of a scholarship is $35,000. Now, let's assume that the other soft costs - food, training table, S&C, insurance, medical, travel, etc. is 50% of that. You are at about $50,000 per athlete. Remember, it's more at some, less at some. Let's say that 15 seniors come back. That's $750,000. That would be hard for a G5, and then even some of the P5 might have a hard time with it. That's my point.

Yeah, what he said.
See the post above about Iowa: Iowa Athletics now projects lost revenue of approximately $100 million and an overall deficit between $60-75 million this fiscal year. A loss of this magnitude will take years to overcome.

An extra million for 15-20 seniors has to come from somewhere.

Now double it ... if you have 15-20 more senior football players, you have to have 15-20 more female scholarships per Title IX. Or you drop, 15-20 men's scholarships from other sports.

In other words, it's a problem, even if you don't see it.

I've always thoughts red-shirts should not be 100%. If you play 4 games and get red-shirted, you should have to sit out the first four games the next year. So, you get the extra year, just not the whole year.

I mean it gives not blue bloods one good recruiting pitch for a year maybe two. Fans and school should love this but this really sucks for that 4 or 5 star recruit at a blue blood school that doesn’t flash big as a freshmen or sophomore.

I don't think it matters so much for those kids at a blue blood school as the junior or senior ahead of them in the depth chart is going to the draft.

For the mid tier teams though, this could help. In any given season there are a couple dozen schools that have the starters to compete with elite teams, but don't have the depth. I don’t know that it makes enough difference to get a Iowa or Washington into the playoffs but it gives them a better shot.

I don't think it matters so much for those kids at a blue blood school as the junior or senior ahead of them in the depth chart is going to the draft.

For the mid tier teams though, this could help. In any given season there are a couple dozen schools that have the starters to compete with elite teams, but don't have the depth. I don’t know that it makes enough difference to get a Iowa or Washington into the playoffs but it gives them a better shot.
I guess I see it different. If a freshman at a blue blood doesn’t have a solid year on the practice field or show improvement then they don’t have to honor the scholarship, then it becomes scramble drill with them versus next years class.

The NFL draft will be wild this April.. The extra year isn't going to ravage the budgets.. hell most of the current seniors already have graduated. The smaller schools/G5, will lose some of their upperclassmen to P5 schools looking to fill voids from the players that declare for the draft or realize it's time to move on.