ESPN agrees to 6-year extension for CFP rights.

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00

This kinda sucks tbh. Hopefully, they do end up sublicensing some to other networks.

how do they have any money?

The sports unit had revenue of $16 billion and profits of $2.9 billion in 2022 — more than Disney's entire entertainment business that year

ESPN is actually quite profitable...because it's still bundled with all sorts of other things that require people to purchase it.

This kinda sucks tbh. Hopefully, they do end up sublicensing some to other networks.

Not a chance. Why would they do that?

FWIW, I am really surprised by this. I thought for sure that they would go the multiple media partner route. Also, I am surprised the B1G is going along with this. CBS and Fox must not have come up with enough money. FSU fans have to be dying.

ESPN is actually quite profitable...because it's still bundled with all sorts of other things that require people to purchase it.
Yeah, it's amazing at everyone who thinks they aren't making money. Disney just had a banner year.

Yeah, it's amazing at everyone who thinks they aren't making money. Disney just had a banner year.
Disney+, and some media related thing (their movie bombs), are losing the overall company money. ESPN and the parks are raking in massive profits.

Honestly I was expecting it to go for more

CFB is ESPN's Alamo. Everything else has been cheapened to the brink of failure: MLB, NFL, NHL, etc. There's clearly money to be made on broadcasting sports, but ESPN hasn't been good at it since Stuart Scott had two good eyeballs.

Disney+, and some media related thing (their movie bombs), are losing the overall company money. ESPN and the parks are raking in massive profits.
Who gives a fuck. Just google "disney company performance" and you will see they are the darlings of Wall Street right now. Like any good company, they will shed those not performing, and will make changes here and there. They just entered a $1.5 billion deal with Epci Games, the company that makes Fortnite, so they are moving Disney into that realm.

This idea that Disney and ESPN are dying is absurd. Sure, ESPN has to make a lot of changes in the next 10 years, but it seems they are doing a fine job right now, and the sports they have are doing great.

Honestly I was expecting it to go for more
I was, too. But, it's a relatively short-term deal ... 6 years, so they might have thought it best to see how they do with a known partner for 6 years. That's probably the B1G's influence ... they like shorter deals. And, remember that if it's ESPN that also means ABC. ABC will be taking over CBS's role in the SEC, so that might bring a lot to the table in the future.

Who gives a fuck. Just google "disney company performance" and you will see they are the darlings of Wall Street right now. Like any good company, they will shed those not performing, and will make changes here and there. They just entered a $1.5 billion deal with Epci Games, the company that makes Fortnite, so they are moving Disney into that realm.

This idea that Disney and ESPN are dying is absurd. Sure, ESPN has to make a lot of changes in the next 10 years, but it seems they are doing a fine job right now, and the sports they have are doing great.
There's also been a lot of talk about Disney trying to sell off ESPN, not sure where that stands. I also think people read too much in stock dips.

This is interesting when Disney, FOX, and Warner just announced they were going to develop a sports-only streaming service that each share equally a third. Not sure how that works out.

There's also been a lot of talk about Disney trying to sell off ESPN, not sure where that stands. I also think people read too much in stock dips.
It's not just that the stock price is up ... their fundamentals are sound.

DEI funding?

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

lol so after everyone balking at expansion that should have started with the '23 season because ESPN was trying to monopolize it...

they still won the bids and have sole rights to it for the next 6 years?

Welp here's to the "ESPN is picking the schools for the CFP" outrage for the next 6 years :)

This is interesting when Disney, FOX, and Warner just announced they were going to develop a sports-only streaming service that each share equally a third. Not sure how that works out.
what?? why would they do that for? ESPN has put in a lot of money for it's ESPN plus library while Fox is still trying to catch up