Favorite musician by instrument

No problem, I named Lester instead of Earl earlier. In my defense, I don't ever remember talking about either one without mentioning the other in most of my life. Again, I am not saying Steve is better than Earl. I am saying I like to listen to Steve more.

I watch the Professor of Rock channel on Youtube. It is kind of like behind the music with historical context. That is where I found out about Shorty Medlocke. Apparently he is Rickey Medlocke's (Skynyrd and Blackfoot) grandpa and great in his own right with the harmonica in bluegrass, country and blues. He also played the banjo. I guess what amazed me most was my ignorance ... I did not know any member of Blackfoot and damn sure didn't know that Rickey Medlocke was ever a lead singer.
To each their own I guess. Don’t understand how it’s possible to prefer a guy that sounds like he’s doing a bad Earl Scruggs impression over the real thing though

To each their own I guess. Don’t understand how it’s possible to prefer a guy that sounds like he’s doing a bad Earl Scruggs impression over the real thing though
Are you saying Steve is not a world class banjo player when even Earl said so and recorded with him? Great is great ... For my money I agree with the music industry that Jimi was probably the greatest guitar player ever, but he is not in the top ten of guitarist that I like to listen play. I would rather have Albert King on guitar in my band, amongst others.

Are you saying Steve is not a world class banjo player when even Earl said so and recorded with him? Great is great ... For my money I agree with the music industry that Jimi was probably the greatest guitar player ever, but he is not in the top ten of guitarist that I like to listen play. I would rather have Albert King on guitar in my band, amongst others.
I’ve never heard Steve play anything other than Earl Scruggs covers, and that’s a losing game with me. Steve Martin as a musician will always be a gimmick to me. Entertainers can also be great musicians like Roy Clark(world class an numerous instruments) and Jerry Reed(amazing guitar player and a great songwriter), I’d rank Steve somewhere between Stringbean and my buddy from school skill wise(less funny than Stringbean too)

I’ve never heard Steve play anything other than Earl Scruggs covers, and that’s a losing game with me. Steve Martin as a musician will always be a gimmick to me. Entertainers can also be great musicians like Roy Clark(world class an numerous instruments) and Jerry Reed(amazing guitar player and a great songwriter), I’d rank Steve somewhere between Stringbean and my buddy from school skill wise(less funny than Stringbean too)
The thing about bluegrass is the huge separation between talent and popularity. There is probably 50+ pickers better than anybody mentioned at any reasonably sized festival.

The thing about bluegrass is the huge separation between talent and popularity. There is probably 50+ pickers better than anybody mentioned at any reasonably sized festival.
And there is more to banjo than bluegrass. Pete Seeger, several members of Old Crow Medicine Show, and the Avett Brothers have/are phenomenal banjo players, just to name a few.

And there is more to banjo than bluegrass. Pete Seeger, several members of Old Crow Medicine Show, and the Avett Brothers have/are phenomenal banjo players, just to name a few.
James Taylor played banjo on some Neil Young songs too.

But, give me that Earl Scruggs style picking

Bluegrass is just a variety of American Roots music. Good ol' Dixieland spawned great banjoists.

You won’t find a better mandolin picker than Sam Bush or Banjo picker than Earl Scruggs. They can only be matched, not passed.

Hell, before Earl, the banjo player was more for comedy than music. Lester Flatt told Bill Monroe to not hire another banjo picker after Stringbean left because they took away from the music. When Lester heard Earl play, he told Bill to hire Earl and pay him whatever he wants

Forgive me ... I am old. Merge the Beatles and Emerson Lake and Palmer with a couple of additions

Lead Guitar I ... Jimmy Page
Lead Guitar II ... Jimi Hendrix
Lead Guitar III ... George Harrison
Rhythm Guitar ... John Lennon
Bass Guitar I ... Paul McCartney
Bass Guitar I ... Greg Lake
Keyboard I ... Keith Emerson
Keyboard II ... Rick Wakeman
Percussion/Drums ... Carl Palmer
Drums ... Ringo Starr
Vocals ... Pat Bentar
Vocals ... Whitney Houston
Vocals/Lyrics ... Tom MacDonald

James Taylor played banjo on some Neil Young songs too.

But, give me that Earl Scruggs style picking
I have nothing against Bluegrass and listen to the old Bluegrass almost every Saturday morning. That is the best music to start off a semi-hungover day when you are fighting a wood smoker, Boston butt, and dew on the grass. To me, Delta Blues is the best music in the history of the planet though.

I have nothing against Bluegrass and listen to the old Bluegrass almost every Saturday morning. That is the best music to start off a semi-hungover day when you are fighting a wood smoker, Boston butt, and dew on the grass. To me, Delta Blues is the best music in the history of the planet though.
Blues ain’t bad, bluegrass is better though

Drummer - Mick Fleetwood
Bass - Louis (Thunder Thumbs) Johnson
Guitar - Warren Haynes
Keyboard - Keith Emerson

Note: this is favorite, not best

Drummer - Dave Lombardo
Bass - Mike Gordon
Guitar - Prince
Keyboard - Herbie Hancock

Note: this is favorite, not best

Yo Mama GIF by Max