Favorite Reads

I love that those books only exist to settle a bet. Spite novels are great.
Butcher seems to be a good dude in the industry.

and I agree, I wasn't a huge fan of the Aeronaut book

You needed two fucking threads to brag about reading a book?

You needed two fucking threads to brag about reading a book?

We have 4 threads on some old bitch getting a haircut, this seems reasonable.

Books that I thought great at the time and still pretty much do:

Catch 22/LOTR obvious choices

Sot-Weed Factor, Giles Goat Boy - John Barth

The Magus - John Fowles

Wilbur Smith - most any, older the better

James Ellroy - the LA Quartet

Reactions: ill
Wanted to justify there being a whole forum for books and reading...so we should have more than one thread...

my favorites are a lot of the classics: Hitchhikers Guide, Tolkien, Rothfuss, Lynch, Sanderson, etc.

recent books I really liked were A Gentleman in Moscow, John Scalzi's The Last Emperox trilogy, Joe Abercrombie's First Law series.

I have tried Sam Sykes and liked it...I will likely read the next book in that series.
I, too, love the Hitchhiker's Guide and Tolkien.
I read A Gentleman in Moscow several months back. I really enjoyed it.

I saw someone mention Christopher Moore. @Mannyrules and @PackJason turned me on to him, and I ended up sending Lamb to my brother.

As far as favorites go, one of my all time favorites is Pillars of the Earth. I also really enjoyed his Century Trilogy.

A funny story, at least to me, about War and Peace. I was supposed to be born in mid October. I ended up being born about 3 weeks later, even though they tried to induce labor on my mother twice. The story goes that after the second time inducing labor didn't work, my mother told the doctor I was in there reading War and Peace, and I wasn't gonna come out until I was finished.

I saw someone mention Christopher Moore. @Mannyrules and @PackJason turned me on to him, and I ended up sending Lamb to my brother.

As far as favorites go, one of my all time favorites is Pillars of the Earth. I also really enjoyed his Century Trilogy.

A funny story, at least to me, about War and Peace. I was supposed to be born in mid October. I ended up being born about 3 weeks later, even though they tried to induce labor on my mother twice. The story goes that after the second time inducing labor didn't work, my mother told the doctor I was in there reading War and Peace, and I wasn't gonna come out until I was finished.
Christopher Moore is one of my favorites too.

The Fool series has been fantastic. Always puts a smile on my face.

I think Lamb just might be the funniest book I’ve ever read.

Last edited:
I think Lamb just might be the funniest book I’ve ever read.
I really need to buy it and read it again. It's been way too long, but it is a wonderful book.

Most of what I read from Moore is wonderful.

I really need to buy it and read it again. It's been way too long, but it is a wonderful book.

Most of what I read from Moore is wonderful.
It was the first book I read by Moore, based on the recommendation by someone from that other place (@Hu War Yu maybe?). After reading it, I had to read his other stuff. I like to read authors in the order they put their work out, so I started with Practical Demonkeeping. But I certainly look forward to reading Lamb again.

Reactions: ill
I think I am maybe 2 books into Butcher's Codex Alara. I have only listened to the audiobooks, but I have enjoyed them. I need to pick the next one up soon.
I read them all several years ago, each one seems to get better. I am not sorry I began and finished.

Pokemon and a Roman Legion? Who knew?

It was the first book I read by Moore, based on the recommendation by someone from that other place (@Hu War Yu maybe?). After reading it, I had to read his other stuff. I like to read authors in the order they put their work out, so I started with Practical Demonkeeping. But I certainly look forward to reading Lamb again.
I just realized I have Lamb on my Kindle...I think I am going to read that on my trip to Nola later this week.

I Am Legend

Just thought of this one for some reason, made me remember how pissed I am that they’ve tried to adapt it to a movie multiple times and have completely missed the mark every time. No one talks about this anymore, and they should.

I Am Legend

Just thought of this one for some reason, made me remember how pissed I am that they’ve tried to adapt it to a movie multiple times and have completely missed the mark every time. No one talks about this anymore, and they should.
I only know of the one attempt with Will Smith. What were the other attempts?

I only know of the one attempt with Will Smith. What were the other attempts?

I think Chuck Heston was in one called The Omega Man.
That, and there was a Vincent Price movie called the last man on earth that was also based on it. That one follows the story the best, and matches the epic ending the best, but still manages to miss the point.

I love Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series and am really hoping we finally see the next book really soon. This at least gives me some hope.

When I was younger it was Harry Potter & Percy Jackson, now it's sports books but I'm trying to get back into the fantasy genre