Future of Hollywood

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Is there a future for Hollywood (California, specifically, but “Hollywood” as an industry as well, to a point) moving forward? Or will go the direction of Detroit and the automotive industry?

Look at the box office numbers recently. 5 Nights won this past weekend with 19M. Granted, it was an early November weekend, so no one was expecting a 100M movie, but it isn’t like this was an isolated event. DC is in disarray. MCU is contemplating a reboot because they haven’t had a big movie in a while and they are struggling just to break even recently.

Streaming is a HUGE reason for this. Also, Ballywood appears to be upping their game and intruding more content to the market.

Is there enough profit in the 100+ year industry to support a high-end local in an in-demand market moving forward? You have to assume some of the major studios in Hollywood, Ca are going fall in the next few years (multiple studios, imho). There simply isn’t enough money in the industry to support all that real estate moving forward.

Relatedly, what will happen in LA? If the movie industry “fails”, what industry will fill the void in LA?

Is there a future for Hollywood (California, specifically, but “Hollywood” as an industry as well, to a point) moving forward? Or will go the direction of Detroit and the automotive industry?

Look at the box office numbers recently. 5 Nights won this past weekend with 19M. Granted, it was an early November weekend, so no one was expecting a 100M movie, but it isn’t like this was an isolated event. DC is in disarray. MCU is contemplating a reboot because they haven’t had a big movie in a while and they are struggling just to break even recently.

Streaming is a HUGE reason for this. Also, Ballywood appears to be upping their game and intruding more content to the market.

Is there enough profit in the 100+ year industry to support a high-end local in an in-demand market moving forward? You have to assume some of the major studios in Hollywood, Ca are going fall in the next few years (multiple studios, imho). There simply isn’t enough money in the industry to support all that real estate moving forward.

Relatedly, what will happen in LA? If the movie industry “fails”, what industry will fill the void in LA?
At some point, they’re going to have to realize that people don’t want another comic book/superhero movie, Star Wars/Star Trek, or the 17th incarnation of a franchise that should have died around the third installment. They’ve run out of ideas and it shows.

At some point, they’re going to have to realize that people don’t want another comic book/superhero movie, Star Wars/Star Trek, or the 17th incarnation of a franchise that should have died around the third installment. They’ve run out of ideas and it shows.

Saw was great Saw II and III were excellent.

SAW 6, 7 , 8 were getting weird. and I haven't seen 9 or 10

The traditional studios definitely need to up their game and change with the times. People don't go to the theater like they used to in general, and putting out the same comic book crap makes it worse.

Also, I believe a lot of actually talented people (writers, directors, etc) go to the streaming services because A) They can get more money, and B) they have more creative control and liberty.

Last edited:
franchises should stop at 3...

I think Lethal Weapon 4 was the best 4th movies of a franchise made.
Just like TV shows should stop after 5, maybe 6 seasons, after that, they are all crap and go downhill fast.

franchises should stop at 3...

I think Lethal Weapon 4 was the best 4th movies of a franchise made.
giphy.gif

I-hate-You-Edge-of-Ettiquette-Star-Trek.gif

tumblr_nogrtobz2c1u62kxvo1_500.gif

The traditional studios definitely need to up their game and change with the times. People don't go to the theater like they used to in general, and putting out the same comic book crap makes it worse.

Also, I believe a lot of actually talented people (writers, directors, etc) go to the streaming services because A) They can get more money, and B) they have more creative control and liberty.
I blame a lot of that on Hollywood. Look at Vancouver, Atlanta and Ballywood for examples of competition that allows for a much better product. I think there is still room for the summer blockbuster, but that concept has been overplayed and there isn’t anything special about those anymore.

I just don’t see how the centralized industry in SoCal survives much further. Comedy has completely divorced itself from Hollywood, for example. While that isn’t a death blow, by any stretch, it is a sign that the Hollywood machine isn’t as powerful as it once was and there are solid paths for creatives to be creative without going through the existing machine.

I blame a lot of that on Hollywood. Look at Vancouver, Atlanta and Ballywood for examples of competition that allows for a much better product. I think there is still room for the summer blockbuster, but that concept has been overplayed and there isn’t anything special about those anymore.

I just don’t see how the centralized industry in SoCal survives much further. Comedy has completely divorced itself from Hollywood, for example. While that isn’t a death blow, by any stretch, it is a sign that the Hollywood machine isn’t as powerful as it once was and there are solid paths for creatives to be creative without going through the existing machine.
And gone or on it's last legs at least, are the days of guys like Jack Warner, Louis B. Meyer etc being able to outmuscle and/or outspend any and all competition outside of Hollywood.

For decades Hollywood was fueled by drugs and a lifestyle that promoted creativity and imagination. Those days are almost entirely gone. Hollywood is now a cesspool of addiction and debauchery. Good riddance. I do all I can not to support it in any way.

Rehash after rehash, telegraphed plots and big budget nightmares, is Hollywood in a "good" year. An actor-led strike, where a small number of overpaid actors demand more than their customary multi-million dollar salaries and perpetual residuals, shutting the whole thing down is a harbinger of collapse. Entertainment industries elsewhere are robust and self-sustaining. Hollywood's monopoly is at least a decade in the past and will not recover.

Seeing bloated, unnecessary crap like "Dune" and "Ms. Marvel" illustrate that audiences are mistreated. Old Yeller had to get shot for a reason. Get in there, lil' Travis.

For decades Hollywood was fueled by drugs and a lifestyle that promoted creativity and imagination. Those days are almost entirely gone. Hollywood is now a cesspool of addiction and debauchery. Good riddance. I do all I can not to support it in any way.
It's always been that way it's just that before, the studios could control the media and tabloids and had the Thirty Mile Zone in which nothing the "stars" did got coverage or reported on.

are you really using DC and MCU to drive it? MCU peaked with Endgame and now they can't get people excited about a CGI movie again. That's all that is. They blew their load.

I think there are still great movies being made...

is your question "are movie theaters done?"

Bollywood

Rehash after rehash, telegraphed plots and big budget nightmares, is Hollywood in a "good" year. An actor-led strike, where a small number of overpaid actors demand more than their customary multi-million dollar salaries and perpetual residuals, shutting the whole thing down is a harbinger of collapse. Entertainment industries elsewhere are robust and self-sustaining. Hollywood's monopoly is at least a decade in the past and will not recover.

Seeing bloated, unnecessary crap like "Dune" and "Ms. Marvel" illustrate that audiences are mistreated. Old Yeller had to get shot for a reason. Get in there, lil' Travis.
Dune was fucking awesome.

and Ms Marvel was a tv show...

Almost broke even!

Conceived of, pitched, and edited out of LA. Yeah, Hollywood does TV too, dude.
I agree that Dune cost a lot to make...but it's still art that Hollywood is going to continue to put out. There are some that don't break even and some that are easy "money in the bank" type movies.

but none of it is going to go away.

like I asked earlier, does OP mean movie theaters are going to go under? Because Hollywood isn't going anywhere.

and no one is talking about TV in this thread.

It's always been that way it's just that before, the studios could control the media and tabloids and had the Thirty Mile Zone in which nothing the "stars" did got coverage or reported on.
They were addicted to cocaine and the sex was normal back then.