TV Series Game of Thrones

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
How do you rank the seasons of Game of Thrones?

Despite the follies of the final 2 seasons I still consider it the greatest TV show ever. Those final 2 seasons still had some great moments, even the first half of the final episode was great before it all fell apart. Been working my way through the audio books for the last few years and I'm currently on the last book to be released. For all the talk from the book readers about how much better the books were I gotta say thus far I think the show was better. There are differences for sure with the plot but for the most part I think the path the show took in those instances was better.

That said, the rankings of the seasons of Game of Thrones:

1. Season 4
2. Season 6
3. Season 3
4. Season 5
5. Season 1
6. Season 7
7. Season 2
8. Season 8

I don't remember the seasons all that well,.so I don't remember what happened in which season...

And it's been years since I read the books.

I remember specific episodes better than seasons because I watched it waiting for things from the books to happen.

How do I rate them?

I would guess I use a numbering system.

🤷‍♂️

SPOILERS

Not entirely sure as I don't remember where they all break individually, but (and I actually just finished watching it for the first time like a month ago) I would have to say that Season 3 was the most memorable. I have been told that I am a fairly harsh critic of movies/shows. My brain is always thinking about where this will go, what will/could this lead to, is that natural, does that make sense, etc.... and I did not expect the Red Wedding. That alone is meaningful and impactful in my opinion. There are VERY few times that I genuinely didn't expect something or was surprised at all on how it went in any movie or show and the Red Wedding got me lol. I paced around the house for about 10 minutes after that episode. That episode is also the reason I know what season it is in.

With that said, I definitely don't think it is the best show of all time, but the medieval times with magic style of stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea either (full disclosure on my biases). I will say that 8, while exciting and cool was a BIG let down. I expected the battle against the White Walkers to be much tougher and impactful to the story and it just never became that. Every season (in some aspect) was building to this and it was over in the blink of an eye it seemed. The Daenerys storyline I saw coming since she executed the slavers of the unsullied so I wasn't shocked by her ravaging Kings Landing, but that was also ultimately a big letdown. Throughout the entire series, you are waiting for Cersei to get what's coming to her and she goes down in such a stale manner, it was unfortunate. But neither of those things were as bad.... as fucking completely stupid as Bran becoming king. When that happened, I INSTANTANEOUSLY hated Bran. I never really liked Brans character to begin with, his story arc was the least interesting in my opinion (Snow and Arya being the most interesting), he is an emotionless, vision having lame character with stupid ass cliches... 'I'm no longer Bran, I'm something else'. Everything that happened had to happen to lead to where they are... ok, so why do we need you to simply tell us that. As an audience, we know that. There is no reason the characters IN the show or the audience watching have to think otherwise. And it all led to Brans 'why do you think I came here' statement to become king. It was fucking AWFUL. Then to also have every other character go their own way (isn't necessarily bad, but unfortunate), felt like a union of sorts after EVERYTHING they had been through was long over due, no never came. I thought it was nice to see Jaime grow as a character, to leave Cersei to fulfill his word, to get there and apologize to Bran even though Bran shrugs it off with stupid shit like 'you weren't sorry then'... well fucking duh dumbass.

Idk man, I could go on and on. I had issues with the show throughout, but the Red Wedding was in an odd way, a pleasant surprise. I didn't want it to happen, but I didn't expect it and that is HUGE for me.

SPOILERS

Not entirely sure as I don't remember where they all break individually, but (and I actually just finished watching it for the first time like a month ago) I would have to say that Season 3 was the most memorable. I have been told that I am a fairly harsh critic of movies/shows. My brain is always thinking about where this will go, what will/could this lead to, is that natural, does that make sense, etc.... and I did not expect the Red Wedding. That alone is meaningful and impactful in my opinion. There are VERY few times that I genuinely didn't expect something or was surprised at all on how it went in any movie or show and the Red Wedding got me lol. I paced around the house for about 10 minutes after that episode. That episode is also the reason I know what season it is in.

With that said, I definitely don't think it is the best show of all time, but the medieval times with magic style of stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea either (full disclosure on my biases). I will say that 8, while exciting and cool was a BIG let down. I expected the battle against the White Walkers to be much tougher and impactful to the story and it just never became that. Every season (in some aspect) was building to this and it was over in the blink of an eye it seemed. The Daenerys storyline I saw coming since she executed the slavers of the unsullied so I wasn't shocked by her ravaging Kings Landing, but that was also ultimately a big letdown. Throughout the entire series, you are waiting for Cersei to get what's coming to her and she goes down in such a stale manner, it was unfortunate. But neither of those things were as bad.... as fucking completely stupid as Bran becoming king. When that happened, I INSTANTANEOUSLY hated Bran. I never really liked Brans character to begin with, his story arc was the least interesting in my opinion (Snow and Arya being the most interesting), he is an emotionless, vision having lame character with stupid ass cliches... 'I'm no longer Bran, I'm something else'. Everything that happened had to happen to lead to where they are... ok, so why do we need you to simply tell us that. As an audience, we know that. There is no reason the characters IN the show or the audience watching have to think otherwise. And it all led to Brans 'why do you think I came here' statement to become king. It was fucking AWFUL. Then to also have every other character go their own way (isn't necessarily bad, but unfortunate), felt like a union of sorts after EVERYTHING they had been through was long over due, no never came. I thought it was nice to see Jaime grow as a character, to leave Cersei to fulfill his word, to get there and apologize to Bran even though Bran shrugs it off with stupid shit like 'you weren't sorry then'... well fucking duh dumbass.

Idk man, I could go on and on. I had issues with the show throughout, but the Red Wedding was in an odd way, a pleasant surprise. I didn't want it to happen, but I didn't expect it and that is HUGE for me.
I thought that parts that actually come from the books were actually pretty good, like the Red Wedding and some of the earlier scenes where you are learning what some of the magic is and the politics around the realm, but as they got more and more away from the actual book story, it became more blah. Season 8 sucked in my mind because they either abandoned some of the stuff going on in Martin's books or they ended a storyline that shouldn't have ended. Once the showrunners and writers had to fend for themselves, the show lost a lot of its fun.

Martin was good for a twist here and there that wasn't expected. I just felt like the show didn't do that as well.

Everytime I re-watch Game of Thrones I notice something new.

Despite how it all ended that is what helps make it the best show ever. First time rewatching since the series ended.

Since then I've finished listening to all the audio books and the audio Books for the Dunk and Egg shorts.

Loved hearing Nan ask Brian in season 1 if he wanted to hear a story about Sir Duncan and this line now having much meaning to me now when before it meant nothing.

Most recently finished up season 3 and in the finale Bran is telling the story of the Rat Cook. Never realized the major foreshadowing of that story to come an episode after the red wedding especially.

Another Sir Duncan the Tall shout out in episode 1 season 4

Anytime I watch it I’m seeing something new because I never watched it.

I think I want to wait another year or two before I do a rewatch, but I do look forward to it.

Great show.

Would you watch a Game of Thrones sequel show?

One that would have no connection at all to any books really at that point and going purely off the show ending. It would pick up years after that show ended of course but would follow whatever Jon is doing way north and Arya out exploring new areas for them to make up and see who knows what shit they would make up, Sansa ruling the north likely as a Cerci type eventually coming to clash with the Bran-Tyrian kingship as long as that lasts. I would imagine Bran becomes this impossible eyes everywhere sort of feared person in the kingdom like the original three eyed raven was back when he was hand of the king.

There is potential. I think people would watch if HBO got the original cast back to just pickup where it left off.

One that would have no connection at all to any books really at that point and going purely off the show ending. It would pick up years after that show ended of course but would follow whatever Jon is doing way north and Arya out exploring new areas for them to make up and see who knows what shit they would make up, Sansa ruling the north likely as a Cerci type eventually coming to clash with the Bran-Tyrian kingship as long as that lasts. I would imagine Bran becomes this impossible eyes everywhere sort of feared person in the kingdom like the original three eyed raven was back when he was hand of the king.

There is potential. I think people would watch if HBO got the original cast back to just pickup where it left off.
Tyrion would need to righteously turn against Bran.

Only point of contention that could draw me in.

Real hard time introducing new characters too. Cuz what were you doing before that you weren’t noteworthy enough to mention? I mean, everybody with a name besides the Starks and like 25 others are dead.