Gardening

Fog

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 17,000.00
I'm looking to create some raised beds.

What type of wood and how high does one build the raised beds?

Also, what type of soil?

Also, what type of soil?
How big? we were going to build ours til we found some nice kits at costco for basically 4x8 or 2 4x4's or any configuration of what you can fit the kits were cheap enough wana say around 100 which i think came in better than the cost of wood so far they have held up nice. we filled them with garden soil cuz meh

Reactions: Fog

Also, what type of soil?
Not sure on the type of wood that doesn't rot easily, but you could build them just about any height. I've seen some at near waist-high so there's minimal bending when weeding/harvesting (you could fill the lower half with other crap like cardboard and wood so you're not spending so much money on dirt. Martha Stewart fills giant pots with bubble wrap at the bottom). Soil all depends on what you're growing, but generally some mixture of topsoil, peat & compost for veggie gardening, but the Miracle Gro potting soil is usually a safe bet.

Reactions: Fog
Not sure on the type of wood that doesn't rot easily, but you could build them just about any height. I've seen some at near waist-high so there's minimal bending when weeding/harvesting (you could fill the lower half with other crap like cardboard and wood so you're not spending so much money on dirt. Martha Stewart fills giant pots with bubble wrap at the bottom). Soil all depends on what you're growing, but generally some mixture of topsoil, peat & compost for veggie gardening, but the Miracle Gro potting soil is usually a safe bet.
we filled our giant pots about halfway full with waterbottles en sech

Cedar. Not something that's been treated.

Ooooh! And it smells awesome! Prolly keep lots of creepy crawlies away, too. Smaht!
My neighbors just replaced the fence between our yards (wind storm plus time destroyed it) and used cedar, absolutely love the smell

As said, Cedar, or Redwood. Both have natural resistance to rot. Good to still line the sides with plastic, or oil type sealant.

As said, Cedar, or Redwood. Both have natural resistance to rot. Good to still line the sides with plastic, or oil type sealant.
Always an option to find a plastic pot that fits neatly inside too. Just use the box for decor, and growing in the pots.

Always an option to find a plastic pot that fits neatly inside too. Just use the box for decor, and growing in the pots.
Tried to post pic of one we have out front, image too big.....

Pop Tv Pout GIF by Schitt's Creek

I like the idea of waist high, so I don't have to bend over and perhaps the dog getting into it.

I dont think these are cedar or redwood. Just sealed crate wood, and pot inside. I emailed the pictures to reduce size.
20220615_153340.jpg20220615_153349.jpg
Flowers took a beating from the sun a few days ago when were over 110 for a couple.

I just use MS paint and resize it.
meh that would be more steps, my pixel auto uploads online i just drag from the photos web page to teh imgur web page then copy link address much quicker for me. paint would require me to download it, open it, resize it, then upload it and insert it in the thread. efficiency is key when bein lazy

meh that would be more steps, my pixel auto uploads online i just drag from the photos web page to teh imgur web page then copy link address much quicker for me. paint would require me to download it, open it, resize it, then upload it and insert it in the thread. efficiency is key when bein lazy
Can't you just resize in this window with the little anchor thingies in the corner?

Can't you just resize in this window with the little anchor thingies in the corner?
that is literal size not storage size. my 50MP camera makes them too big for hammers allowance to be uploaded so linking is easier because the webpage doesnt host it it just serves a link instead

I dont think these are cedar or redwood. Just sealed crate wood, and pot inside. I emailed the pictures to reduce size.
View attachment 75042View attachment 75043
Flowers took a beating from the sun a few days ago when were over 110 for a couple.
I think I'm going to do something similar (keep in a pot) when I put my thai basil, regular basil, jalapenos and MINT in a rail planter. The mint is super bossy and will choke those other bitches out, so I'll put the others in the planter and keep the mint in it's separate container, buried in the planter box.