Giannis signing Super Max contract with Bucks

We'll see if he still likes better in 3-4 years when he still hasn't made it to the finals.

He may be one of those rare superstars who likes where he is and stays there his whole career. A lot of contenders would have loved to have had Reggie Miller, but he chose to stay in Indy for his whole career. KG would have stayed in Minny his entire career, but they basically told him thanks for your service, now go get the title with the Celtics that we couldn't help you get here and traded him.

As I said above, I'm not surprised he chose to stay, but I am surprised that he did a 5 year deal instead of a 2 year deal.

Titles are everything now more than ever. He could last throughout the contract if they win a title, maybe even if they make a couple but never win a title but if they start losing in the 2nd round every year....you better believe he will be looking to get out.

That doesn't matter. There is a salary cap, so the Bucks can't give a max level player any more than any other team can. Players at that level have choices and with the money being the same, they're not choosing Milwaukee when they can choose Miami, LA, NY, Dallas, etc.

Yep and we don't know how much the cap will go up now.

Projections for the next 4 years (his 5th is a player option):

21-22 112M (+3)
22-23 116M (+4)
23-24 121M (_+5)
24-25 127M (+6)

That isn't a lot to work with when you have Middleton and Giannis till basically 23-24 for $80-90M of the cap. They won't have any cap flexibility till 22-23 so they better hope Middleton and Holiday are the real deal and win them a ship, as well as Giannis expanding his game to a mid-range at least.

Titles are everything now more than ever. He could last throughout the contract if they win a title, maybe even if they make a couple but never win a title but if they start losing in the 2nd round every year....you better believe he will be looking to get out.
Giannis is not a mercenary like a lot of other superstars and he loves Milwaukee and his fans. If he wasn't happy I'm sure he wouldn't have signed the contract.

Giannis said he considers Milwaukee his city and has confidence in the owners to pursue top talent. Unlike some other superstars, he doesn't feel the need to change organizations based on other team's players. He wants to be like Dirk that played his entire career in Dallas.

And if that's what he wants to do, that's fine. It's his career. I think the league would be better all around if more guys made the same choice Giannis did.

It's not a matter of pursuing top talent. It's that top talent doesn't go to Milwaukee. Name the last max level FA who chose to sign with Milwaukee.

Heck, in his first stint in Cleveland, Lebron was dragging some sorry rosters deep into the playoffs and made a finals appearance. They were arguably one max player away from a title and couldn't get one.

Milwaukee is a very well run organization. But they just aren't in a market that max level guys pick.

Giannis said he considers Milwaukee his city and has confidence in the owners to pursue top talent. Unlike some other superstars, he doesn't feel the need to change organizations based on other team's players. He wants to be like Dirk that played his entire career in Dallas.
Even Dirk said if not for 2011 he was going to leave later in his career.

Dirk said that but stayed loyal to the organization.
Because he didn't need to chase a ring since Dallas won one. But he said his 2016 decision would likely have been different had they not won.

I think a lot of the top players will be this way, loyal to a point but will eventually want that ring.

Because he didn't need to chase a ring since Dallas won one. But he said his 2016 decision would likely have been different had they not won.

I think a lot of the top players will be this way, loyal to a point but will eventually want that ring.
Giannis said he wants to earn a ring with the Bucks. He is highly paid and on a competitive team that has been dominant the past two seasons. There are no guarantees in the NBA.

Giannis said he wants to earn a ring with the Bucks. He is highly paid and on a competitive team that has been dominant the past two seasons. There are no guarantees in the NBA.

I'm sure he does. All players want to win a title with whatever team they're on. But, as they get older and haven't won one, they start looking other places.

So, right now, Giannis is happy in Milwaukee, which is great for the Bucks and their fans. But, 3 years from now, if they haven't at least been to a finals...he may well decide it's not going to happen and move on.

Of course, if he's really as happy in Milwaukee as he says and if winning a title isn't as important to him, then he may well play there his whole career.

Dominant in the regular season...they are going to have to win a title to keep Giannis happy. They only need to win one but if they can't even make the Finals he will be more desperate for a ring than ever before.

Dominant in the regular season...they are going to have to win a title to keep Giannis happy. They only need to win one but if they can't even make the Finals he will be more desperate for a ring than ever before.
Giannis is still young and not an aging superstar desperate for a ring.

I think the point is what will he be saying in 2025 when it is opt out time?

True. But guys are leaving at younger ages so they don't have to be an aging superstar desperate for a ring.

It's why Lebron left Cleveland the first time, KD left OKC, AD left the Pels, etc. Those are just guys who won titles.

That's not even mentioning the guys who have left to try to win titles, but haven't managed to yet.

With the way contracts are set up nowadays, a player spends the first 7 years of his career with the team that drafted him. So it seems that more players are taking the approach that if the team that drafted them can't get them the necessary pieces to win a title in 7 years, they're not going to and they move on.

Those who don't move on, will usually sign a shorter term deal. Re-signing with the Bucks isn't really all that surprising. While most, myself included, figured he'd want out if the Bucks didn't get him what needs to win a title...it's not as if he ever really did or said anything that would indicate he was unhappy in Milwaukee.

But it was surprising that he signed a long term deal. Reggie Miller said that he stayed in Indy his whole career because he was happy, management did try to get the pieces they needed for a title and that was good enough for him.

Giannis may feel the same way.

Last edited: