Happy Birthday to the Abomination

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
...that is the Designated Hitter. 50 friggin' years.

"On December 10, 1972, the American League passes a new rule allowing the use of a “designated hitter.” Although the AL says it will employ the designated hitter on a three-year trial basis, the DH will eventually become a permanent part of the league’s rules."

BTW, this looks like a great website. I may have to look into it.

At first I thought it was Pujols’ birthday
Cena Ooo GIF

Nope. DH is diluted baseball. Takes strategies out of the game and keeps guys who can't play defense in it.
Lets hitters hit and pitchers pitch. No more loading the bases with 2 outs in the third inning and having the pitchers spot come up

Minor league baseball, college baseball and high school baseball have been using a DH for years now. The National League was the only league where pitchers still hit, and non two way pitchers had gone years without hitting and it showed. Pitchers could barely get a bunt down anymore.

Lets hitters hit and pitchers pitch. No more loading the bases with 2 outs in the third inning and having the pitchers spot come up

Minor league baseball, college baseball and high school baseball have been using a DH for years now. The National League was the only league where pitchers still hit, and non two way pitchers had gone years without hitting and it showed. Pitchers could barely get a bunt down anymore.
Excuses.

It's a wonder that there isn't a call to put as asterisk on SO records before 1972 because they were striking out pitchers.

Baseball is played with 9 players per team, not 10.

So instead of improving proficiencies, we change rules to cater to deficiencies. Nope; I prefer high standards.

Same with limiting shifting, too. Shifting is a strategy that has worked recently. Instead of banning it, make your hitters better to beat it.

So instead of improving proficiencies, we change rules to cater to deficiencies. Nope; I prefer high standards.

Same with limiting shifting, too. Shifting is a strategy that has worked recently. Instead of banning it, make your hitters better to beat it.
Banning the shift is stupid, but I am happy that a routine grounder to short isn’t gonna be a single anymore.

Games evolve. I’m sure people in B1G country are still upset about the forward pass being allowed in football

And, the DH hides fielding deficiencies. The good hit/no field guys are a dime a dozen.

And, the DH hides fielding deficiencies. The good hit/no field guys are a dime a dozen.
The Phillies played like 4 DH’s in the field and rode it to a pennant. Even in 2021, the Braves might have ran out the worst defensive OF of all time and rode it to a WS trophy

Banning the shift is stupid, but I am happy that a routine grounder to short isn’t gonna be a single anymore.

Games evolve. I’m sure people in B1G country are still upset about the forward pass being allowed in football
Baseball was perfect as it was. Hell, I'd allow spitballs. Football was, and still is, a flawed game.