Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

fordman84

Administrator
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 95,570.00
Another July 1, another $1.9m check from the Mets to a player who hasn't played for them for over two decades. Madoff strikes again, and will continue to do so through 2035. :suds:

I had heard snippets of this story but never understood exactly what the deal was. Here's a read for anyone interested. Lucky Bastard! haha

Yeah it's a hilarious story and a brilliant move by Bonilla to accept it. I didn't hear if his people thought of it or the Mets people, but it's a hell of a deal. turning $5.9 lump sum in 2000 into 25 payments of $1.9 over 25 years was a smart move. Of course the Mets liked it because they were caught up in Madoff's lies and earning way north of what they thought they would pay out by investing that $6m with Bernie.

Yeah it's a hilarious story and a brilliant move by Bonilla to accept it. I didn't hear if his people thought of it or the Mets people, but it's a hell of a deal. turning $5.9 lump sum in 2000 into 25 payments of $1.9 over 25 years was a smart move. Of course the Mets liked it because they were caught up in Madoff's lies and earning way north of what they thought they would pay out by investing that $6m with Bernie.

He actually had 2 deals like this....

• Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.

He actually had 2 deals like this....

• Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.
Seems like there was a Bonilla like deal that was recently done as well, like in the last 5 years.

More than just a few, 8 current players. Reading up on Diaz and some others that keep getting these deals. I'd be ALL FOR signing one of these if I were in their shoes. Plenty of money now but go ahead and get some mailbox money for when in retirement. Make sure you don't have to rely on the pension payments or whore yourself out for autographs or something like that in retirement.

I love laughing at the Mets, and Bobby Bonilla day is a tradition, but deals like his are more common than you think.

Hell, the Braves just got done paying Bruce Sutter like 2 years ago, and he hadn’t played for them since the late 80’s.

I love laughing at the Mets, and Bobby Bonilla day is a tradition, but deals like his are more common than you think.

Hell, the Braves just got done paying Bruce Sutter like 2 years ago, and he hadn’t played for them since the late 80’s.
True, but most of the deferred contracts don't wait so long before they start paying and most didn't get the stars to align like Bonilla's that makes it really lopsided. Usually it is just deferred by a few years and the payout is similar to the current value of the lump sum.

Best pension plan ever!

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes
Pay Day Money GIF
Make It Rain Money GIF

The reaction to this story always makes me shake my head.

Dude invested 5M and got an 8% compounded annually ror. Good investment, for sure. But not an investment that deserves the constant groans it receives.