Happy Monday

You have a diatomaceous earth filter?
No, mine is sand. Had a DE pool growing up and HATED it. The pool itself was garbage so probably mostly to do with that but never wanted a pool and when my wife convinced me (meaning said we were getting a pool) I put my foot down that it was either salt or sand.

No, mine is sand. Had a DE pool growing up and HATED it. The pool itself was garbage so probably mostly to do with that but never wanted a pool and when my wife convinced me (meaning said we were getting a pool) I put my foot down that it was either salt or sand.
Do you like the sand filter? I hate cleaning my cartridge filters.

Do you like the sand filter? I hate cleaning my cartridge filters.
Yeah I love the sand filter over the DE. Had it now for 6 years and never once changed the sand. I backwash when the pressure gets high and last month I did a deep clean which is just opening the filter and using a water hose to poke down through the sand to knock loose any clumps and floats out all the garbage that got past the skimmers. Wasn't much in there. Some people will say you need to change the sand every 2 years but the science doesn't back it up. Some groups have gone as far as to compare new vs different years of filter sand under a microscope and you'd have to run a pool filter almost 24/7 for 20 years before the sand starts to actually round out and lose effectiveness.

My only issue with sand has been that after a backwash I'll set the multiport to rinse and let it go for a few minutes but inevitably I would still geta little sand returning to the pool. After seeing inside the multiport I think the reason was the bad gasket. I was afraid one of the horizontals in the filter had broken but it only does it right after a backwash. After I get the new gasket in and do a backwash I'll know better. I'm thinking it was 100% of my issue.

I am very fortunate to be where I am with my house. I would be foolish to change anything right now.

Only reason we're considering it is for a school. Maybe just sell our place and rent... fuck buying right now.

Another letter from the IRS arrives today and it ain't my refund....
Damn It Wesley Snipes GIF by IMDb

Yeah I love the sand filter over the DE. Had it now for 6 years and never once changed the sand. I backwash when the pressure gets high and last month I did a deep clean which is just opening the filter and using a water hose to poke down through the sand to knock loose any clumps and floats out all the garbage that got past the skimmers. Wasn't much in there. Some people will say you need to change the sand every 2 years but the science doesn't back it up. Some groups have gone as far as to compare new vs different years of filter sand under a microscope and you'd have to run a pool filter almost 24/7 for 20 years before the sand starts to actually round out and lose effectiveness.
I dont know why we dont really have sand filters out here. You really just dont see them.

I dont know why we dont really have sand filters out here. You really just dont see them.
I think people assume the DE is easier, but I remember the filters getting a tear and just pouring that cloudy DE right into the pool. Sand is less maintenance and I think keeps the pool clearer than DE ever did.