Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - #1 Saban vs #4 Wilkinson

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 447.00
The winner faces the winner of Bryant/Osborne (Matchup #22) in the Finals. The loser faces the loser of Bryant/Osborne for 3rd Place.

Poll is open for 4 days

Semifinals | Week 11

Matchup #21 (This thread) - #1 seed Nick Saban vs #4 seed Bud Wilkinson
Matchup #22 (link) - #2 seed Bear Bryant vs #3 seed Tom Osborne

Coach21.jpg

I voted for Wilkinson bc everyone should vote for Saban

I voted Bud to piss off chewy

samuel l. jackson middle finger GIF by Lionsgate

Bud, ain’t even close. Saban has cheated his way to the top and there’s never been a call not go his way, and most of it was done at what was already arguably the most successful program in college football history before he got there, kind of a pussy move to set up camp at an inbred camp like that IMO. Give me the guy that did it the right way at a program that had never won a natty before he got there.

Bowden>both though

Hmm the nicest man in the world vs the devil.

Just an interesting tidbit.
JFK appointed Bud Wilkinson to head up the President's Council on Physical Fitness in 1961

1616873347663.png

Bud Wilkinson implemented what would become known as the "Oklahoma Drill"

Used in one form or another to this very day by every team in the Nation.

Bud Wilkinson invented the "No Huddle" offense known in the 1950's as "Go-Go"

Still in use today.

Bud won 3 National Championships when he played Quarterback at Minnesota under Coach Bernie Bierman, and won 3 National Championships as Coach of Oklahoma, for a total of 6 National Championships.

Got voting reopened up, had closed early

Bud, ain’t even close. Saban has cheated his way to the top and there’s never been a call not go his way, and most of it was done at what was already arguably the most successful program in college football history before he got there, kind of a pussy move to set up camp at an inbred camp like that IMO. Give me the guy that did it the right way at a program that had never won a natty before he got there.

Bowden>both though

If your argument is Bud because Saban cheats I'm not sure what to say. And that's not a knock on Wilkinson. If you wanted to win back in the 50's you had to get your hands dirty. But if you aren't cool with it now you can't say you were cool with them then.

If you want to say you are voting for anyone except for Saban because fuck Bama that's fine. I voted for Satan because fuck ou but if you are being unbiased this one shouldn't be that close.

Surprising statistics: Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops all had a higher career winning percentage than Nick Saban has.

Barry Switzer .837
Bud Wilkinson .826
Bob Stoops .798
Nick Saban .797

Surprising statistics: Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops all had a higher career winning percentage than Nick Saban has.

Tom Osborne .830
Barry Switzer .826
Bud Wilkinson .814
Bob Stoops .798
Nick Saban .795
Fixed for accuracy.

I'm not, but thanks for playing.

Bud Wilkinson has a record of 145-29-4, math isn't difficult. That is a .814 overall winning percentage. Wikipedia appears to get .826 from averaging the percentage per season (I assume as that is the only number that is remotely close to what they show), that is not an accurate number of winning percentage, that is a number of your average winning percentage per season, not overall.

So as I said, I fixed it for accuracy.

I'm not, but thanks for playing.

Bud Wilkinson has a record of 145-29-4, math isn't difficult. That is a .814 overall winning percentage. Wikipedia appears to get .826 from averaging the percentage per season (I assume as that is the only number that is remotely close to what they show), that is not an accurate number of winning percentage, that is a number of your average winning percentage per season, not overall.

So as I said, I fixed it for accuracy.
Actually, 145-29-4 is a .826 winning percentage, as a tie counts as half a win and half a loss in a winning percentage calculation. So, 147 (145+2) divided by 178 = .826.