Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - #1 Saban vs #4 Wilkinson

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, 145-29-4 is a .826 winning percentage, as a tie counts as half a win and half a loss in a winning percentage calculation. So, 147 (145+2) divided by 178 = .826.
I do not count ties as half wins probably because there is no such thing as a half win. That's ridiculous, but would explain the number.

NiceWarlikeHousefly-small.gif

I do not count ties as half wins probably because there is no such thing as a half win. That's ridiculous, but would explain the number.

NiceWarlikeHousefly-small.gif
You may not count them that way, but that is how winning percentage is calculated.

You may not count them that way, but that is how winning percentage is calculated.
Sounds like something losers would do. Guess I was 'sciencing'.

So how does that work with bets on number of wins lol. If a team won 9 games, but also had a tie... but the preseason over/under was 9.5, did they push or how was it determined back when there were ties? If you don't count the half win in the season, why would it count to any coaches record?

Sounds like something losers would do. Guess I was 'sciencing'.

So how does that work with bets on number of wins lol. If a team won 9 games, but also had a tie... but the preseason over/under was 9.5, did they push or how was it determined back when there were ties? If you don't count the half win in the season, why would it count to any coaches record?
I don't know about betting. That is a good question!

As for calculating winning percentage regarding a coaching record or a team's record, ties are calculated as half a win and half a loss for statistical purposes. It's neither a win nor a loss. So, they give .5 per tie to each column for the calculation. That's how 145-29-4 = .826. Just explaining the formula.

Last edited:
I don't know about betting. That is a good question!

As for calculating winning percentage regarding a coaching record or a team's record, ties are calculated as half a win and half a loss for statistical purposes. It's neither a win nor a loss. So, they give .5 per tie to each column for the calculation. That's how 145-29-4 = .826. Just explaining the formula.
No, I get the math, I just think that is a ridiculous notion to do it that way.

You Oklahoma fans choke worse than your team. How do you let your greatest coach lose to that sawed off peckerwood?