Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coaches Tourney - 5 Meyer vs 12 Bowden

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 447.00
Posting this a night early because I will be busy tomorrow.

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career? Poll is open for 4 days

Winners of this week matchups meet in the Quarterfinals and Losers meet up in the Elimination Round 11

Round 1 | Week 2

Matchup #3 (this thread) - #1 seed Nick Saban vs #16 seed John Heisman
Matchup #4 (link) - #8 seed Eddie Robinson vs #9 seed Bob Devaney

Coach3.jpg

Bowden certainly has the longevity. Also, I always liked the story of how he asked the NCAA if West Virginia could wear green jerseys and play Marshalls last game of the season against Ohio after the plane crash. (The NCAA, already the sucky organization it is today, said no)

However, Meyer was a winning machine and did it at every single stop a long the way. National championships at two different schools plus that winning pct. Gonna give him the edge

I feel like Bobby Bowden coached my entire life, and his teams were damn good for a long time. Urban is a slimy dude, that pretends to be a straight arrow, with a heaping helping of "holier than thou". Meyer has had tremendous success, at multiple stops, but I feel like he had so much shit in his wake, that he isnt as good of a coach, as he is a slimy recruiter. Cant vote for him.

Florida State was nothing before Bowden got there. He turned them into a powerhouse that lasted for decades. The string of top 5 finishes is impressive.

Urban is a great coach, but he’s not better than Bowden

winning percentage: Meyer- .854 / Bowden- .740
bowl game winning percentage: Meyer- .800 / Bowden: .682
national titles: Meyer- 3 /Bowden- 2

Yeah I know Bowden has a lot more total wins (357 in 40 years / 187 in 17 years). And bowl games (22-10-1 / 12-3). Could flip a coin and pick either of them. The tiebreaker for me is Meyer's record vs. that community college in ann arbor. Going more with my fandom than objectivity for this pick.

Had to go with Bowden just because of that run he had.

Are Vandy fans allowed to vote?

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

Y'all convinced me to change my vote to Bowden.

Florida St had a couple flash-in-the-pan solid teams 'pre-Bowden', but he took them to the consistent dynasty level they became.

The best argument for Urbs is that he did the same thing Spurrier had already done at Florida and the same thing that Tressel had already done at Ohio St.

Check out this 1964 Florida St squad though.

(9-1-1) and capped it off with a bowl win over the Sooners.

1612206100940.png