Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coaches Tourney - 7 Hayes vs 10 Paterno

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 447.00
Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career? Poll is open for 4 days

Winners of this week matchups meet in the Quarterfinals and Losers meet up in the Elimination Round 11

Round 1 | Week 4

Matchup #7 (This thread) - #7 seed Woody Hayes vs #10 seed Joe Paterno
Matchup #8 (link) - #2 seed Bear Bryant vs #15 Seed Steve Spurrier

Coach7.jpg

Attachments

• Coach8.jpg
    Coach8.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 2
This one is much closer.

And doesn't Joe have the most undefeated seasons without an NC in the history of coaches??

Joe Pa's kiddie diddling scandle seals this vote for me. Hayes.

This one is much closer.

And doesn't Joe have the most undefeated seasons without an NC in the history of coaches??
Coach Paterno actually has MORE Undefeated, Untied Bowl Teams (1968, 1969, 1973, 1986 and 1994) than any other PROGRAM not named Alabama (1925, 1930, 1934, 1945, 1961, 1966, 1979, 1992, 2009 and 2020).

So Joe Pa has the most untied undefeated seasons without NCs. Makes you wonder if there was a reason nobody voted for them to be champs. Almost if they knew something we all didn't.

Disbelief Reaction GIF

Wow this is objectively an easy call. But I completely understand why the majority feels differently.

@MarkOU I hope to hell you are wrong. You raise an interesting point but that means that sports media spent years covering up child rape and assumed punishing Penn State in the polls was punishment enough. That's beyond bullshit. If some media member had a whiff of what was going on at Penn State or Michigan State or Ohio State they had a duty to put that on full blast.

I remember those undefeated Paterno teams.
Penn State was an independent and the schedule was, lets say, lacking some years.

Not saying they weren't good teams, because they were, but nobody was going to reward those schedules and didn't.

Well what are the factors?
Paterno:Hayes:
409 Wins (1st all time for D I-A coaches) (.749)238 wins (I believe 14th all time for D I-A coaches?) (.759)
2 National Championships5 National Championships
3 Conference Championships15 Conference Championships (13 for B1G, 1 for OAC, and 1 for MAC iirc)
5x AFCA Coach of the Year1 time AFCA Coach of the Year
3x Walter Camp Coach of the Year1 time Walter Camp Coach of the Year
3x Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year3x Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year
3x Big Ten Coach of the Year2x Big Ten Coach of the Year
24-12-1 in Bowl Games (.662)6-6 in Bowl Games (.500)
1-2 against Woody2-1 against Joe Pa

Well with this graph, Joe Pa leads in 5 of these, Woody leads in 3, and with 1 draw. In terms of Accolades Joe Pa blows Woody out of the water, multiple times more COY awards (Didn't list the Bobby Dodd, Bear Bryant, etc. Awards) as well as receiving the Sportsman of the year award by Sports Illustrated. Woody on the other hand has the advantage of actual championship success, more than double the number of NC than Paterno & five times as many conference championships (though ironically Paterno received more B1G COY awards than Woody.) This could be argued that the reason for this was that Penn State was independent up until 1993 but no one is to blame for that but PSU themselves. Another huge factor is that Joe Pa won a lot more Bowl Games than Woody, even if you dumb it down to his first 12 bowl games he's 7-4-1 instead of 6-6.

So really, there's three main factors:
1) Winning
2) Succeeding
3) Being recognized
Joe Pa won more & was recognized to be the best coach over 10x put together, Woody just has more Natties & Championships (which is totally fine for being the reason to pick Woody.)

Yeah I'm biased lol but yeah I'd pick Joe Pa over Woody, gotta respect longevity, no one has made the standard quite like what Joe Pa did at Penn State. I don't think Joe Pa will win this round simply due to personal bias people have already mentioned, but I'm trying to look at this as objective as I can get.

Coach Paterno actually has MORE Undefeated, Untied Bowl Teams (1968, 1969, 1973, 1986 and 1994) than any other PROGRAM not named Alabama (1925, 1930, 1934, 1945, 1961, 1966, 1979, 1992, 2009 and 2020).
Brutal.

If this is about assaulting kids, Woody only punched one player. JoePa enabled a serial pedo. Joe Pa wins.

Just looking at straight coaching...Joe Pa should probably win this, but fuck that. I'm voting Woody.

America loves a winner....and Woody got them receipts...even if he was an abusive hothead.

Hammer votes for kid-diddlers...who is surprised?

chris hansen take a seat GIF by South Park