Poll HooplaNation's Poll Tournament - Best Team Since 1997 Season - #1 2001 Miami (FL) vs #16 2002 Ohio State

Who is the better team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 447.00
Winner of this poll faces the winner of 2013 Florida State/1999 Florida State in Quarterfinals.
Loser of this poll faces the loser of 2013 Florida State/1999 Florida State in Elimination Round 1.

Week 1 - Round 1

Matchup #1 - #1 seed 2001 Miami (FL) vs #16 seed 2002 Ohio State

Matchup #2 (link) - #8 seed 2013 Florida State vs #9 seed 1999 Florida State

Bracket1.gif

Untitled2.jpg

OSU physically dominated Miami and controlled the game. Nothing was fluky about that.
Don’t be the ultra defensive homer. Getting through that season undefeated was fluky AF. Not just the game, the entire season, you knew that too, you’re not dumb.

2001 Miami, FL (12-0)
Pts/G: 42.7 (3rd)
Opp Pts/G: 9.8 (1st)
SRS: 1st
SOS: 22nd

2002 Ohio State (14-0)
Pts/G: 29.3 (41st)
Opp Pts/G: 13.1 (2nd)
SRS: 5th
SOS: 21st

Don’t be the ultra defensive homer. Getting through that season undefeated was fluky AF. Not just the game, the entire season, you knew that too, you’re not dumb.

There were much more flukier titles.

Tennessee backing into the title game because of everyone else losing in 1998 and then getting a FSU team with a 3rd string QB to boot in the title game is probably #1 (also Tennessee shoulda lost to Arkansas, their QB tripping over his own OL and fumbling while they were running the clock out and handed Tennessee the game. Funniest shit is when Tenenssee fans try to explain this as anything but a completely lucky fluke unforced error)

You believed the narrative that Miami was unbeatable, when in reality, OSU also had a shitload of future NFL players on their roster in addition to two of the top defensive coaches of the 2000s on the staff in Tressel and Dantonio. That OSU team beat 4 teams ranked in the final top 12 of the AP poll. They were a very deserving champ.

You believed the narrative that Miami was unbeatable, when in reality, OSU also had a shitload of future NFL players on their roster in addition to two of the top defensive coaches of the 2000s on the staff in Tressel and Dantonio. That OSU team beat 4 teams ranked in the final top 12 of the AP poll. They were a very deserving champ.

People seem to forget Miami needed a fucking shanked 43 yard FG by Florida State that year to save their undefeated season. How come they never get touted as "lucky to even be there"

There were much more flukier titles.

Tennessee backing into the title game because of everyone else losing in 1998 and then getting a FSU team with a 3rd string QB to boot in the title game is probably #1 (also Tennessee shoulda lost to Arkansas, their QB tripping over his own OL and fumbling while they were running the clock out and handed Tennessee the game. Funniest shit is when Tenenssee fans try to explain this as anything but a completely lucky fluke unforced error)
One of the most doesn’t mean the most.

I didn’t know any narrative at the time, I was 11 and only watched UGA games back then. All the low scoring, one score games. It was a little fluky. Still counts and not worth getting defensive over

I didn’t know any narrative at the time, I was 11 and only watched UGA games back then. All the low scoring, one score games. It was a little fluky. Still counts and not worth getting defensive over
Oh yeah, it was the overarching narrative of the time - OSU had no chance at all. Herbstreit predicted OSU would "shock the world and win" and they looked at him like he was nuts. OSU had some low-scoring, one score games, but don't forget Miami barely got by FSU and only beat Pitt at home by 7. In fact, OSU had 3 wins (not including Miami) that were better than any win Miami had all year. It was an upset, but I don't think you can call it a fluke.

Oh yeah, it was the overarching narrative of the time - OSU had no chance at all. Herbstreit predicted OSU would "shock the world and win" and they looked at him like he was nuts. OSU had some low-scoring, one score games, but don't forget Miami barely got by FSU and only beat Pitt at home by 7. In fact, OSU had 3 wins (not including Miami) that were better than any win Miami had all year. It was an upset, but I don't think you can call it a fluke.

I almost forgot about the Pitt game.

Pitt's QB overthrew a wide open guy in the end zone on 4th down with 20 seconds left, woulda tied the game.

I literally said I was referring to the entire season, not just the NCG. You knew that though

I literally said I was referring to the entire season, not just the NCG. You knew that though
...which is why I pointed out that Miami also had close calls and OSU's overall body of work was more impressive through the year. You need to read my entire post, man.

Well that's who OSU beat in the game you called "one of the biggest flukes of the BCS era". I'm not sure what else you would be referring to.
The entire 2002 season for Ohio State. It was a fluky run. Not as fluky as say 2007 LSU when Missouri and WVU both lost to get them in the NCG with 2 losses, or Bama in 2011 being gifted a spot because Okie St couldn’t hold a big second half lead against a mediocre Iowa State

Last edited:
The entire 2002 season for Ohio State. It was a fluky run. Not as fluky as say 2007 LSU when Missouri and Pitt both lost to get them in the NCG with 2 losses, or Bama in 2011 being gifted a spot because Okie St couldn’t hold a big second half lead against a mediocre Iowa State
2007 is on a flukiness level all on it's own of almost any year I can recall, BCS or otherwise. That last month was absolutely insane. I'd also the first season, 1998, was extremely fluky in that OSU was by far the #1 team in the nation until they were upset by Sparty, which kept them out of the NCG. Every other game of theirs was a double-digit point win.