Hungry prepper and farmin

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 22,597.00
Let’s say you have land and you need to plant 1-2 plants to survive. Most versatile crop in any climate and any soil type. High in protein and carbs. What do you do?

Taters for salad?
Maize?

my family has always had a green thumb and gardens. Friends got farms. We Gonna start farmin

We just gonna plant some stuff and see how it goes. Years away from livestock but I want some chickens and quail. Wagu cows sounds good. Already have a deer plot set up with creek running thru

Gonna give my 5 year old son something to do in 5-7 years. But also be ready

Let’s say you have land and you need to plant 1-2 plants to survive. Most versatile crop in any climate and any soil type. High in protein and carbs. What do you do?

Taters for salad?
Maize?

my family has always had a green thumb and gardens. Friends got farms. We Gonna start farmin

corn

beans

weed

Dude… came across Sunchoke on YouTube.

Just found it at the Asian grocery store today

I’m pumped
Interesting for sure. I think if I were planning a crop for prepping, I'd make sure to have all of my carbs in pasta and then grow something to compliment that. Peppers, for one.

Taters for salad?
Maize?

How are you going about preserving?

I just finished canning peaches yesterday. Maybe one or two rounds of tomatoes to go. No more greens for salsa verde though.

Done maybe 25 pounds of redskins so far. We’ll see how many I bother with there.

Green beans are done. Sweet corn is long over. Swimming in pickles. Did a little pickled asparagus, not much.

Drying basil as I thumb this.

Way more spaghetti squash to cook and freeze than I want to tackle right now.

And haven’t even started with apples or pears. Wasn’t a great year for either one. We got a cold snap right as they bloomed.

I’d start planting fruit trees in the spring. They’ll still produce for your great grand kids. Same with perennials like asparagus and rhubarb. Raspberries and blackberries. And elderberries in the shade.

My grapes and cherries pretty much just feed the birds. But I could net the trees if things ever get fucky.

You can call it homesteading if people shun you for being a prepper.

Interesting for sure. I think if I were planning a crop for prepping, I'd make sure to have all of my carbs in pasta and then grow something to compliment that. Peppers, for one.
Spaghetti sauce is super easy.

I don’t mess with putting the meat in before canning. Cuz pressure cooking takes forever.

This is a combination of getting some plants started to see what thrives and doing something with the fam as well. My son loves it and needs to be outside. Plus heck I got the land to do it so why not

Build ya a root cellar. Yer roots and tubers will fucking last forever in there.

Everything else should be something you can bottle, save for a few seasonal faves.

With every batch of whatever ya make in the water bather, do one of just bottled water. Properly canned water will last at least a decade.

This is a combination of getting some plants started to see what thrives and doing something with the fam as well. My son loves it and needs to be outside. Plus heck I got the land to do it so why not
How is the soil at your place?

You gonna be around to water?

Raising mushrooms is easy and zero maintenance after the initial hole drilling and inoculating of the logs. And they don’t need sunshine, so no productive land needs to be used. You can put em right in the woods.

Build ya a root cellar. Yer roots and tubers will fucking last forever in there.

Everything else should be something you can bottle, save for a few seasonal faves.

With every batch of whatever ya make in the water bather, do one of just bottled water. Properly canned water will last at least a decade.
We refill jars with water as we use em.

Grandmas old move.

Raising mushrooms is easy and zero maintenance after the initial hole drilling and inoculating of the logs. And they don’t need sunshine, so no productive land needs to be used. You can put em right in the woods.
My BIL started this in rural NY. We get pics all the time. I'll get my wife to forward me some and I'll post them.

65978d36-a4e0-425e-9062-7370dd267a40.jpegIMG_4072.jpeg

The pics aren't very good. You should see their Lions Mane. My BIL is a huge fan of the Learn Your Land channel on Youtube. The dude is pretty good. Definitely interesting. If you watch it enough, you can literally walk around eating stuff in your yard.

My BIL started this in rural NY. We get pics all the time. I'll get my wife to forward me some and I'll post them.
My FiL is way into mushrooms. We got him all licensed up to sell to restaurants en sech a couple years ago for his birthday.

Real cool setup he’s got for shiitakes and oysters.

I’ve always been into foraging for em. But just starting to grow. It’s no more labor intensive than picking asparagus once you get going.