I recently purchased a pellet smoker....

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
....and it's a game changer!

Pitboss.jpg

Dance Party Dancing GIF

Trying an experiment.

One brisket is trimmed very aggressively, competition style.

Another one is not trimmed very much, removed the "hump" and some silver-skin and the deckle fat, backyard style.

The other one is trimmed and the point and flat are separated into individual pieces.

After today I will know how it cooks each type and will record results for future cooks.....

Oh! .....and I'll feed half the neighborhood in the process!

I wish I could have taken some after pics, but never got a chance, it all went too quick.

Smoked them at 225 for 12 hours ,removed them and wrapped them in butcher paper and left them in for an extra 2 hours then pulled them out , wrapped in towel to rest for another hour.

I used 27 lbs of Pit Boss Competition blend pellets for the entire time .

Not too bad , especially in 50 degree weather.

Smoking that much Brisket was a challenge and it pulled thru with flying colors!

(I didn't need to do anything at all to the cooker...set it and forget it!)

never heard of this.
what does it do
Instead of foil. Wrap it tight and let it get tender. It helps maintain the bark because is allows it to breathe, unlike foil which doesn't and will sometimes "steam" the bark right off during "the rest".

Plan to order a Traegar here shortly. Already have a flat top grill so I don't need a huge one, but something to smoke what I'd need for the small gatherings we have at the house.

Once it arrives and I've got a run or two out of it, I'll clean up my Masterbilt electric smoker to pass along to my brother-in-law so we can smoke the Thanksgiving turkeys without me having to load it up each year.

Last edited:
Considering Z Grills 700 series now after doing a bunch of online research, with much more to come before the days out I'm sure. While still lagging behind Traegar, the prices are about half the price. Think it'll handle everything I would need it for over the next several years for a lot cheaper.

Considering Z Grills 700 series now after doing a bunch of online research, with much more to come before the days out I'm sure. While still lagging behind Traegar, the prices are about half the price. Think it'll handle everything I would need it for over the next several years for a lot cheaper.

Z Grills have trouble with their controllers and horrible customer service from what I was able to research.

Traeger grills are popular but not the best. I looked at the Traegers and they were cheap looking to be honest. Every one that was on display had bent hinges and the lid never closed tightly.

The guy who started Traeger pellet grills, Joe Traeger, sold the company and now works for Pit Boss. His two sons work for Louisiana Grills.

Pit Boss had the best warranty and the heavier gage material making up the cooker. Pit Boss is just as good as the rest, just a lot cheaper.