If Freddie Freeman doesn’t win MVP this year the award is a total farce

Freddie should absolutely be the MVP as of right now. There's the numbers, and the Braves have no starting pitching, so they have to score to win.

MLB awards lost a lot of respect when Hideo Nomo was given the NL ROTY over Chipper Jones back in '95.

If he doesn't LeBron James will be pissed

Whereas a 192 wRC+ is pretty historic for a 1B, a 147 wRC+ for a shortstop is also historic. The offensive gap is pretty big though, and while I'm a huge believer in positional adjustments, it's not like Freddie's a statue at 1st. I don't think it's unreasonable to go with the guy with the significantly better offense, especially in a shortened season where defensive metrics are even more suspect.

Last edited:
MLB awards lost a lot of respect when Hideo Nomo was given the NL ROTY over Chipper Jones back in '95.

his rookie year wasn't that great. a 108 OPS+ from a 3rd baseman is a good rookie campaign, but it was only a 2.8 WAR season. Nomo had a 2.54 ERA over 191 innings, not to mention his 11.1 K/9 was one of the highest ever by a pitcher at the time.

his rookie year wasn't that great. a 108 OPS+ from a 3rd baseman is a good rookie campaign, but it was only a 2.8 WAR season. Nomo had a 2.54 ERA over 191 innings, not to mention his 11.1 K/9 was one of the highest ever by a pitcher at the time.
There's just something about guys that have years of professional experience overseas being considered rookies that doesn't sit well with me.

There's just something about guys that have years of professional experience overseas being considered rookies that doesn't sit well with me.
What's the difference between that and Aball, AA or AAA?

and it's not like we're talking about a 30-year-old. 26 isn't that old for a rookie pitcher.
It's pretty damn old for a rookie.

23 or 24 should be the cutoff age for rookie of the year.

and it's not like we're talking about a 30-year-old. 26 isn't that old for a rookie pitcher.
Andrew Bailey was 25 when he was ROY.

But he got paid to play in America before he made it to the majors.

Casey Mize got millions and millions and millions last year. And he didn't sniff the big leagues.
Top draft picks and highly touted international free agents get paid well in the minors, most minor league players have to make guest appearances at car lots to afford meals.

When a player is a certain age, calling them a true rookie is a little off to me.

I'm gonna be more impressed with a 21 year old rookie than a 25 year old rookie. I still laugh at the tards that laughed at me when I said I'd take Bellinger over Judge when they both were rookies.

Didn't look much like an MVP in the 7th inning last night.