Iowa Hawkeyes Drop 4 Sports, Admit They Are in Deep Financial Trouble

Its just a matter of time for most every athletic department to face some real tough decisions. Losing March Madness last years kills most budgets then if theres no fans or games in cfb this year youll see a ton of ADs forced with some harsh realities. IF theres no CFB this year ( or it gets stopped early ) and we dont have CBB again this year you could legit see the end of college sports

Its just a matter of time for most every athletic department to face some real tough decisions. Losing March Madness last years kills most budgets then if theres no fans or games in cfb this year youll see a ton of ADs forced with some harsh realities. IF theres no CFB this year ( or it gets stopped early ) and we dont have CBB again this year you could legit see the end of college sports
College sports aren't going anywhere. You will see a bunch of lower Teir D1 schools drop down or eliminate multiple sports but P5 schools shirk be fine. If you read the article it looks like Iowa has been operating without any reserves and just over the line in black. They will have to borrow from the B1G network and cut costs across the bd but eventually they will get out of the hole.

The article reads like spending has been a bit out of control.

Iowa State is about to eat your lunch because they are going to play.

Before this is over Warren is going to lose his job.

The arrogant bastards thought if they threw in the towel everyone would follow and they would look like they were the "leaders" in CFB.

Instead 3 of the P5 schools said FU and the parents and fans of the B1G schools are about to revolt.

College sports aren't going anywhere. You will see a bunch of lower Teir D1 schools drop down or eliminate multiple sports but P5 schools shirk be fine. If you read the article it looks like Iowa has been operating without any reserves and just over the line in black. They will have to borrow from the B1G network and cut costs across the bd but eventually they will get out of the hole.

The article reads like spending has been a bit out of control.

Iowa State is about to eat your lunch because they are going to play.
I feel bad for Iowa, because this not only hurts the U of I - but it hurts the state all the way down the line.

As for Iowa State, besides playing and earning bank - ISU has always run a tight ship and is always in the black. Stretching the Cyclone athletic dollar is nothing new.

9/12 cannot get here soon enough!

Last edited:

The arrogant bastards thought if they threw in the towel everyone would follow and they would look like they were the "leaders" in CFB.

Instead 3 of the P5 schools said FU and the parents and fans of the B1G schools are about to revolt.

Yep, Warren really fucked this all up. They should have pushed back start of season like other conferences did and that would give them more time to make a decision.

I'm reading where there is shit happening behind the scenes and if Michigan will agree to play there might be a 10 team B1G season but it hinges on Michigan.

I don't necessarily doubt this because everyone is crunching numbers like Iowa did and it's scaring the shit out of them.

I had heard if the Big 12 didn't play the SEC and ACC might have had to follow so the Michigan story doesn't surprise me.

Would we still be having this conversation IF this wasn't an election year? :headscratch:

Maybe, maybe not. But I would think probably not as drastic of actions that have been taken so far...

Yep, Warren really fucked this all up. They should have pushed back start of season like other conferences did and that would give them more time to make a decision.
Gotta lead the way... fucking idiot.

I'm reading where there is shit happening behind the scenes and if Michigan will agree to play there might be a 10 team B1G season but it hinges on Michigan.

I don't necessarily doubt this because everyone is crunching numbers like Iowa did and it's scaring the shit out of them.

I had heard if the Big 12 didn't play the SEC and ACC might have had to follow so the Michigan story doesn't surprise me.
Michigan will fuck it up...they always do

I feel bad for Iowa, because this not only hurts the U of I - but it hurts the state all the way down the line.

As for Iowa State, besides playing and earning bank - ISU has always run a tight ship and is always in the black. Stretching the Cyclone athletic dollar is nothing new.

9/12 cannot get here soon enough!
Client on ISU's board said they're all over it....going after everything from Iowa's recruits to corporate sponsors. Add a better than expected bowl game payday and it should be a great year.

Schools should be coming at the neck of the NCAA for the payout on the rainy day fund. NCAA been spending it, never actually thinking a year like this could have happened.

Again on Warren, he isn't going to get fired. Why would he when he was doing what he was told. Would you get mad at your supervisor for firing you, or would you blame the owner who co-signed it?

I'm guessing Tennessee is done, too.
No. Alumni have committed $1.33 billion to the University's latest fund raising drive. If there is need, alumni will answer the call.

Oh, and fuck Bama. They can burn eternally in the lake of fire.