Madden '23

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,256.00
So I tried out Madden '23 trial thinking I was going to maybe give the game a try this year. After all it had been about 5 years since I bought and played Madden last. What I found out through the trial is it is basically the same game play and same commentary as it was 5 years ago. I want to play it this year but after the trial I have zero interest in playing it.

Madden hasn’t been fun since they introduced the stupid ass gimmicks. Random X FACTOR!!!!!! shit.

“Occasionally DeAndre Hopkins can jump 13 feet in the air and make a catch through 5 guys… X Factor!!!!!!”

Fuck off.

EA seriously shouldn’t have touched he gameplay since NCAA.

So I tried out Madden '23 trial thinking I was going to maybe give the game a try this year. After all it had been about 5 years since I bought and played Madden last. What I found out through the trial is it is basically the same game play and same commentary as it was 5 years ago. I want to play it this year but after the trial I have zero interest in playing it.
Game pass has the previous year by the time the new one comes out. If you get the itch just play that one.

Game pass has the previous year by the time the new one comes out. If you get the itch just play that one.
Yeah for a quick pickup game or something I'll just play the previous year, just like NBA 2kwhatever. I usually buy these sports games for the franchise mode, but given the games are the same as they have been the past 5 years, it's hard to buy the new one.

I usually buy these sports games for the franchise mode, but given the games are the same as they have been the past 5 years, it's hard to buy the new one.

Back in the days of the PS1 & PS2, I'd get Madden, NHL, NBA Live, FIFA... hook up a couple of multi-taps... plug in 8 controllers... host big sports gaming parties with friends, brothers and cousins. To me, those were the glory days of sports games.

I haven't owned a Madden game since the PS3 - when the game's focus turned to online play and microtransactions. I prefer franchise mode and local co-op. In the PS3 era, Madden chopped their franchise mode and local co-op options down to nothing. I haven't touched it since. Now, the only sports game I play with any regularity is NHL.

I miss 7-8 player local compatibility. Last weekend I would've been playing a full team of 5 in NHL cooperatively if the PS4 & PS5 allowed for 5 controllers. 4 was still fun, but 5 would've been tits. Fuck that dumbass AI teammate we can't control. ...That's my biggest gripe with the two newest generations of systems.

I bought 23 after about 3 years of refusing to buy a Madden game. The game is worse than it was 3 years ago.

MUT doesn't connect, Franchise mode is broken, Face of the Franchise is lame. And they are pushing WAY too many micro transactions.

1.5/10

The 1.5 is because Madden is on the cover.

This game blows.

I can not stand the micro transactions. I pay $60-$70 for the damn game, give me all the game has to offer. I shouldn't have to pay for in-game purchases or anything to enhance the game play or experience. I also don't care if my player is wearing generic cleats, or shoes, I am not going to spend real life money to upgrade so I have choices of shoes to wear.

The direction of gaming has me worried for when the return of NCAA Football returns. In that, I just want to have dynasty mode, and leave me be. I dont want to have to have in game transactions to get recruits, or upgrade facilities, etc. I get the DL pack for uniform upgrades, they did that in the old game and I was a sucker for them and bought them, but in that it sort of makes sense because those uniforms got added to the teams after the game was released.