New Trend: College Coaches Jumping To The NFL

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,500.00

Kliff Kingsbury is back in the NFL, and UCLA's Chip Kelly is apparently bearish on staying in the college game after several reported meetings for an offensive coordinator's role in the NFL. Has the changing landscape of college football caught up to Chip?

This is just going to heat up and guys are going to bail due to NIL and the portal. Earlier retirements will start trending also.

who'da guessed that college coaches actually DON'T enjoy having to recruit guys already on the team to actually STAY on the team and not jump ship after a season?

it's only going to continue as long as NIL/transfer aspect continues to be this "wild west" atmosphere

who'da guessed that college coaches actually DON'T enjoy having to recruit guys already on the team to actually STAY on the team and not jump ship after a season?

it's only going to continue as long as NIL/transfer aspect continues to be this "wild west" atmosphere
Yup. They should have fixed this half a century ago when cfb wasn’t amateur anymore instead of having their monopsony, the ncaa, keep the kids as indentured servants.

There will always be plenty of replacements for those that decide it isn’t their cup of tea. Getting top players in college hoops has been like swimming in cesspools for several years with AAU and handlers. Hasn’t stopped a lot of folks from seeking hoops jobs.

The guys that like swimming in all this shit remind me of a sign I saw once. “Arguing with a contractor is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you figure out the pig actually likes it.”

Yup. They should have fixed this half a century ago when cfb wasn’t amateur anymore instead of having their monopsony, the ncaa, keep the kids as indentured servants.
Oh, brother

Kliff Kingsbury is back in the NFL, and UCLA's Chip Kelly is apparently bearish on staying in the college game after several reported meetings for an offensive coordinator's role in the NFL. Has the changing landscape of college football caught up to Chip?

This is just going to heat up and guys are going to bail due to NIL and the portal. Earlier retirements will start trending also.
College head coaches are doing less and less coaching and more and more general managing. And I think some coaches just kinda want to coach football. They don't want to recruit, then re-recruit those same kids every year. They don't want to deal with NIL. They don't want to deal with alumni funding NIL. So I think it makes a ton of sense that a lot of coaches just kinda want to coach football in the NFL.

Oh, brother
He's not wrong, the NCAA could have gotten in front of this decades ago. Instead they refused to budge, now players right to profit has been legislated and court ordered, the NCAA has little power, and there's no structure to any of it.

It could have been avoided if the NCAA acknowledged what the sport had become and figured out a way for players to be paid.

He's not wrong, the NCAA could have gotten in front of this decades ago. Instead they refused to budge, now players right to profit has been legislated and court ordered, the NCAA has little power, and there's no structure to any of it.

It could have been avoided if the NCAA acknowledged what the sport had become and figured out a way for players to be paid.
Oh you're not wrong, this sort of thing should have been handled years ago. I was moreso talking about the "indentured servant" comment.

Reports that Ryan Grubb is being considered for the Seahawks OC job. He seemed to genuinely not want to leave, and he's the only coach who followed DeBoer to Bama that hasn't updated his twitter page to reflect anything about Bama. This might be happening.

Just the latest cycle. This has happened before with college coaches jumping up to the league. Few do anything there

Auburn just lost their defensive line coach to the NFL.

We brought on a new DC so that could’ve been a big factor in it though.

If you can land an NFL gig, why would you stay in college? You have to recruit year round just to land competitive recruiting classes, and then you have to recruit your own players to stay multiple times a year thanks to the portal and you have a bunch of NIL stuff to deal with.

Hell, you’re probably putting in 100 hour weeks in the offseason.

You have to really live for it to not get burned out.

Kingsbury pulled out of the Raiders job and now rumor is Chip Kelly might get it.

Kingsbury pulled out of the Raiders job and now rumor is Chip Kelly might get it.
Where is Kingsbury going or is he staying at USC?

Ryan Grubb (former Washington now current Bama OC) is talking with Seattle about their open OC position.

The attached article sites family life and gives Chris Kiffin as an example:

Chris Kiffin, who is married with four kids, saw this immediately. He left a job under his own brother Lane at Ole Miss in February of 2022 after less than a month on the job to return to his old job as defensive line coach with the NFL Cleveland Browns.

"My decision centered on the NFL's work schedule being more conducive to raising a family," he said after deciding to leave Lane and the Rebels to return to Cleveland.

“I’m never one to complain about the amount of work, but I can tell you for the first time in 33 years of coaching, I went home and said, ‘Am I really gonna have enough energy to do this for the long haul?'” Locksley said. “My hope is that we can put a guardrail around the NIL and the transfer portal stuff and create more accountability in terms of knowing.

“The hard part is you just can’t build a roster and know exactly who, what, when. So, for me, I think it’s going to be really important. There’s a lot of different things you have to do, but you have to prioritize when it’s time to coach football, we’ve got to coach football. I’ve been able to do that and I’ve got a staff of coaches that help me do that.”