NHL Trade Deadline thread

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,256.00
Discuss your (or any) team's moves

I don't really get the Janmark decision. I don't see him being an immediate help, plus he had the worst +/- on the entire Blackhawk team with a below-average FOW%. I just don't see that being worth a 2nd and a 3/5 flip. Plus he will be UFA at seasons end with a 2+ million dollar price tag....

wtf?

I'm pretty happy with this. Not a huge needle mover as he definitely isnt the Jeff Carter of old but didn't give up a lot, not taking the whole salary. Gives them some line and position flexibility depending on who's healthy and a touch more secondary scoring.

I don't really get the Janmark decision. I don't see him being an immediate help, plus he had the worst +/- on the entire Blackhawk team with a below-average FOW%. I just don't see that being worth a 2nd and a 3/5 flip. Plus he will be UFA at seasons end with a 2+ million dollar price tag....
It's a decent bottom six add but you're right that seems a bit steep to give up

wtf?

When I saw that Janmark trade I was like '...add another bullet point to the perception that this new Vegas GM is running the Knights into the ground'. McPhee did an excellent job of turning that team into an immediate contender and McCrimmon is quickly turning the team into the LA Kings - but without the Cups. In a couple years they're going to have a roster full of has-beens on bloated contracts and no draft picks.

Caps got fleeced, holy fuck.
One thing Caps fans could possibly hang their hats on is that Mantha has a good one-timer and is a left shot who loves shooting from the right circle. If they put him on the PP with Ov, then they have formidable PP unit that rivals what Tampa has when Hedman, Stamkos and Kucherov are on the ice together.

That said, as a Wings fan, I'm happy with the return. Mantha was the Wings' most gifted goal scorer, but he's very streaky and tends to coast through long stretches of games. He ultimately didn't really fit what the Wings are trying to build in Detroit and is a bit injury-prone. He's a clone of Johan Franzen.

Discuss your (or any) team's moves
The Caps did a bunch of salary dump moves, and I doubt any of it will make a difference for this postseason:

1. Acquired Michael Raffl from Philly for a 2021 5th round pick. He's a UFA after this season, and so is a rental.

2. Traded Richard Panik, Jakub Vrana, a 2021 1st rounder and a 2022 2nd rounder, for Anthony Mantha. Mantha has another 3 years on his contract.

Mantha's level of talent and production is probably between Panik and Vrana, though all three play very differently. In effect, the "change" is Mantha for Vrana, because Panik had never really worked out well in Washington. Meanwhile, MacLellan clears the decks to sign Ovechkin to his last contract and at least a couple of options in case he wants to protect both Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie from being snapped up by the Krakheads.

The Caps did a bunch of salary dump moves, and I doubt any of it will make a difference for this postseason:

1. Acquired Michael Raffl from Philly for a 2021 5th round pick. He's a UFA after this season, and so is a rental.

2. Traded Richard Panik, Jakub Vrana, a 2021 1st rounder and a 2022 2nd rounder, for Anthony Mantha. Mantha has another 3 years on his contract.

Mantha's level of talent and production is probably between Panik and Vrana, though all three play very differently. In effect, the "change" is Mantha for Vrana, because Panik had never really worked out well in Washington. Meanwhile, MacLellan clears the decks to sign Ovechkin to his last contract and at least a couple of options in case he wants to protect both Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie from being snapped up by the Krakheads.
Was curious what you thought about that. At first look that seemed like a lot to give up.

Was curious what you thought about that. At first look that seemed like a lot to give up.
It is. Vrana has value, as do the 1st and 2nd rounders. But the Caps have had virtually zero cap space the last couple of years because of the need to sign the high dollar players. This was a prospective salary dump, no more or less, for the next couple of years. It's rare that a team wouldn't want to pay high draft picks that are NHL-ready, but I expect the team will probably market the hell out of Ovechkin-catching-Gretzky and few will notice that the team's depth beyond the first couple of lines and pairings is a bunch of scrubby jerks picked up off waivers.

When I saw that Janmark trade I was like '...add another bullet point to the perception that this new Vegas GM is running the Knights into the ground'. McPhee did an excellent job of turning that team into an immediate contender and McCrimmon is quickly turning the team into the LA Kings - but without the Cups. In a couple years they're going to have a roster full of has-beens on bloated contracts and no draft picks.
tenor.gif

Then again, after that debut, maybe the Caps did well.

Then again, after that debut, maybe the Caps did well.
Early returns are that the trade is working out for both teams and both key players. ...Vrana needed more opportunity, Mantha needed more protection...

Early returns are that the trade is working out for both teams and both key players. ...Vrana needed more opportunity, Mantha needed more protection...
Vrana was getting sauce from Kuznetsov for years. He had plenty of chances. Apparently this trade lit a fire under him, which was always the biggest knock.

Vrana was getting sauce from Kuznetsov for years. He had plenty of chances. Apparently this trade lit a fire under him, which was always the biggest knock.
Fair point, but my point was that Vrana was maybe the 6th option in Washington. He's getting an opportunity to be the first option in Detroit and he's cashing in... at least, thus far...

6 straight wins for the Bruins since the deadline and all 3 players that they acquired have been solid contributors. Add in a rookie goalie that appears to have "IT" and I'm feeling a hell of a lot better about Boston's chances than I was a few weeks ago.

6 straight wins for the Bruins since the deadline and all 3 players that they acquired have been solid contributors. Add in a rookie goalie that appears to have "IT" and I'm feeling a hell of a lot better about Boston's chances than I was a few weeks ago.
fuck swayman