Opener BlackFly - Electric-Powered VTOL Personal Air Vehicle

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 295.00
The Opener BlackFly is an American electric-powered VTOL personal air vehicle. It's not a flying car but a large personal drone, made of carbon-fiber reinforced epoxy, 13'x13', weighing 313 lbs, and powered by eight 42-hp electric motors with a range of up to 40 miles and top speed of 60 mph.

Blackfly.jpg

The Blackfly was designed by Canadian Marcus Leng and in production by his company, Opener, Inc. of Palo Alto, California. It was publicly introduced on 12 July 2018, after nine years of development. It is on sale this year initially at a cost of over $150,000. At volume it reportedly will sell for the cost of an SUV. The vehicle was described on today's CBS Sunday Morning News.

Flight

The Opener BlackFly is an American electric-powered VTOL personal air vehicle. It's not a flying car but a large personal drone, made of carbon-fiber reinforced epoxy, 13'x13', weighing 313 lbs, and powered by eight 42-hp electric motors with a range of up to 40 miles and top speed of 60 mph.

View attachment 44956

The Blackfly was designed by Canadian Marcus Leng and in production by his company, Opener, Inc. of Palo Alto, California. It was publicly introduced on 12 July 2018, after nine years of development. It is on sale this year initially at a cost of over $150,000. At volume it reportedly will sell for the cost of an SUV. The vehicle was described on today's CBS Sunday Morning News.

Flight

No way anyone would insure it.

I’ve seen more drones crash and burn than actually do the shit they were supposed to.

That thing looks awesome.

Id get one, but with all the local windmills, most of the sky here is controlled airspace.

Only thing holding me back.

No way anyone would insure it.

I’ve seen more drones crash and burn than actually do the shit they were supposed to.

Large drones like this? Maybe they could equip it with a push button parachute for use if things went to hell.

I just want to go somewhere and fly the fucker around for a while.
It’d be fun as fuck.

My uncle has what I call a “parachute plane”. Basically a go cart, with a giant fan and hang gliding sail. Too much fun. But can’t go as many places now.

It’d be fun as fuck.

My uncle has what I call a “parachute plane”. Basically a go cart, with a giant fan and hang gliding sail. Too much fun. But can’t go as many places now.
You’ve flown that thing? No way in hell I go up in that.