Pond Excavation & Build

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 14,312.00
And so it begins!!

Not sure if this qualifies as a DIY, but I'm having a 3 acre pond dug. I will be helping my buddy a little in driving the skid loader and dump truck moving dirt around to my west pasture and to some neighbors who want some of this (black gold) dirt. There will be a side dumper coming down in a few days so I'll have to learn to drive that beast. No, I'm not driving the scraper. I'll leave that to the pro.
We dug a pilot hole initially just to see where the water table is (6 ft). The black dirt goes down 8 ft before it starts transitioning to a sand/soil mix. Not sure how deep yet to hit pure sand.
The depth will be 20 ft in it's deepest spots.
There will be a walk-out sand beach for swimming on one edge. A nice covered dock in another spot. The rest will just be shoreline.
I'm having another well installed out there to keep the pond at berm level and to also supply water to a few camping pads so friends/family can come out to party hard and have a place to crash.
Looks to be a 5 - 6 week project before pond completion and I can get it stocked with crappie, bass, bluegill, and catfish.

1655822698529.png
1655822739691.png
1655822796032.png
1655822845463.png

Last edited:
Looks like it's 'Spring Fed'
If it is fed by a creek/stream/river you might want to get the Corp. of Engineers involved.

Looks like it's 'Spring Fed'
If it is fed by a creek/stream/river you might want to get the Corp. of Engineers involved.

Ground water fed. No streams, creeks, or dam involved.
Already been through the NRD and the Corp for stamps of approval.
I'm classified as a farm so they said get after it.

Looks great.
Lots of work there.
How many dump truck loads do you anticipate

No idea.
A lot, but what I don't use has all been bought.
The guy doing the digging is buying some.

Translation: Discount on his hourly equipment rate.

Last edited:
I will be using an off-grid wind/solar hybrid to supply electricity to the well pump, camping pads, lights, and aeration bubblers.
So with a well pump does that mean you don't have to dig below the water table and you are pump water into the pond?

Or do you dig or scrape the dirt away so you're below the water table?

Totally cool project.....wish I could do something like that.

And so it begins!!

Not sure if this qualifies as a DIY, but I'm having a 3 acre pond dug. I will be helping my buddy a little in driving the skid loader and dump truck moving dirt around to my west pasture and to some neighbors who want some of this (black gold) dirt. There will be a side dumper coming down in a few days so I'll have to learn to drive that beast. No, I'm not driving the scraper. I'll leave that to the pro.
We dug a pilot hole initially just to see where the water table is (6 ft). The black dirt goes down 8 ft before it starts transitioning to a sand/soil mix. Not sure how deep yet to hit pure sand.
The depth will be 20 ft in it's deepest spots.
There will be a walk-out sand beach for swimming on one edge. A nice covered dock in another spot. The rest will just be shoreline.
I'm having another well installed out there to keep the pond at berm level and to also supply water to a few camping pads so friends/family can come out to party hard and have a place to crash.
Looks to be a 5 - 6 week project before pond completion and I can get it stocked with crappie, bass, bluegill, and catfish.

View attachment 75693
View attachment 75694
View attachment 75695
View attachment 75696
Dang. So jelly. I thought you meant like a fuggin' koi pond or something :laugh:

So with a well pump does that mean you don't have to dig below the water table and you are pump water into the pond?

Or do you dig or scrape the dirt away so you're below the water table?

Totally cool project.....wish I could do something like that.

The bold.

We're digging down 14 foot below the current water table (6 ft), so the well pump will be to keep the level at 20 foot at it's deepest spots. The pump will run on a float system like a toilet tank.

Bubblers/aerators will be in the deepest spots to keep the water circulating, oxygenated, and keep algae/moss from growing in the shallower spots.

Looks like @Parka has some fish habitat competition

This my water feature.... :beer2:

35247711_10216188543535881_8117154461891166208_n.jpg

No boat dock?
Nop not of the river or this case the slough....

My view looking down stream with my boat the Lund....Winter Time

90239013_10221457085286132_4603773413062868992_n.jpg

Water is fairly low....

83865026_10221013606239433_1981421301595635712_n.jpg

This is flood stage....

Thought about a dock but when you have to walk up the ramp to get to your dock I had second thoughts.

Got a cousin that has pond stocked with the same fish you plan on. The catfish ate all the other fish.
Both my grandparents had ponds/old unused gravel pits. And both were taken over by bullheads at one point.

Both are blue gills ponds at the moment. Pretty sure dynamite was the solution on the one we swim in.

5 acre pond on my property is full of LMB. Best fishing in Southlake.