Pre steroid era home run anomalies

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,650.00
We all know about Brady Anderson randomly hitting 50 homers in a season in the 90’s, but what are some examples and explanations for players before the steroid era randomly having a big home run hitting season?

In 1973, Davey Johnson hit 43 homers. His next 4 highest totals in his career was 18, 15, 10 and 10. I know Atlanta-Fulton County was a bandbox, and at the time was the highest elevation of any park in the Majors, but he also played a full season there in 74 and only hit 15.

They juice the balls in 73 like they did in 2019?

What are some other examples?

First, it is hard to pinpoint when the "steroid era" began. I think it was going on even during the 70's. If NFL players were using then you cannot convince me that players in the MLB were not using. I do think that there was a surge in usage during the 90's in MLB.

But its been well documented that players were using greenies, beaners and other forms of enhancement dating back to the 50's. There are also many accusations from former players that the ball was juiced in multiple eras. Perhaps Johnson was using a corked bat during 73? I agree that it looks odd but there could be multiple reasons.

First, it is hard to pinpoint when the "steroid era" began. I think it was going on even during the 70's. If NFL players were using then you cannot convince me that players in the MLB were not using. I do think that there was a surge in usage during the 90's in MLB.

But it’s been well documented that players were using greenies, beaners and other forms of enhancement dating back to the 50's. There are also many accusations from former players that the ball was juiced in multiple eras. Perhaps Johnson was using a corked bat during 73? I agree that it looks odd but there could be multiple reasons.
Everyone knows what is commonly referred to as the steroid era, and pep pills weren’t close to the same. If you want to go that route, baseball’s first 300 game winner, Pud Galvin drank a tonic containing monkey testosterone.

Everyone knows what is commonly referred to as the steroid era, and pep pills weren’t close to the same. If you want to go that route, baseball’s first 300 game winner, Pud Galvin drank a tonic containing monkey testosterone.
Swallowing… monkey spooge?

Boggs hitting 24 home runs in 1987 (next best was 11 in 1994), granted 1987 was a very HR happy year in general

Bob Cerv's 38 home runs in 1958. He had some pop, but his next best was 20 home runs in 1959 and he was mostly a bench player

Tommy Holmes hitting 28 in 1945 (only one other season with double digits; 13 in 1944)

Maris and his 61 were an outlier in the sense he never had a season over 40 and only hit over 30 one more time

Hack Wilson’s 56 in 1940 stands out.

Never hit more than 39 in any other season. And only 244 for his entire career.