Question About Holding Calls…

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
First off, I have never played any organized football in my life. And this question might be way off. When there is a false start call or offsides call, it is pretty instant, the whistle is blown, and all players hold back on the play. Why not holding? Example: Team 1 has the ball at the opponent’s 35 yard line. A run play, and there is holding by the offense at the line. The RB runs down and gets to the 8 yard line where he is grabbed by Team 2 and held up but not down yet. A second defender comes in and nails the RB, and he goes down with a forearm or shoulder injury. If the hold was seen, and flag thrown, could the play be blown dead before the rest of the play happened? And the injury? School me on this.

A false start stops a play before it starts. You can’t blow a play dead because of holding for multiple reasons. Blowing the play dead removes the chance for the defense to get a turnover on the play or for the offense to get pass interference or some other penalty that would result in offsetting penalties. Plus it would be stupid.

Ok. That makes sense.

First off, I have never played any organized football in my life. And this question might be way off. When there is a false start call or offsides call, it is pretty instant, the whistle is blown, and all players hold back on the play. Why not holding? Example: Team 1 has the ball at the opponent’s 35 yard line. A run play, and there is holding by the offense at the line. The RB runs down and gets to the 8 yard line where he is grabbed by Team 2 and held up but not down yet. A second defender comes in and nails the RB, and he goes down with a forearm or shoulder injury. If the hold was seen, and flag thrown, could the play be blown dead before the rest of the play happened? And the injury? School me on this.

False start generally gets the defense to react as well, specifically the defense line. This present a danger to the QB or RB as only the offending player would be blocking the rest would be letting any defensive player that reacts run free. Offsides does not result in a play being blown dead unless the offending player has an unimpeded path to the QB.

So I've always thought of plays being blown dead by penalties when it's a safety concern. If no concerns, then they let the play resume to see the end result

Holding usually isn’t instantaneous and can happen at anytime once the ball is in play. Normally, if a guy holds it’s because it’s last ditch effort to stop his opponent from making a tackle, sack etc rather than an immediate action. So there’s a few seconds between the time the ball is hiked and holding taking place.

Good grief this thread is like explaining shit to my wife about football.

I’d rather she not watch.

Good grief this thread is like explaining shit to my wife about football.

I’d rather she not watch.
At least there isn’t anything as ghey as suggesting linemen wear mittens like someone else does