Rank QBs By Best NFL Prospect

J.J. McCarthy has declared for the draft.
This changes everything
Changes nothing. His last 6 games were straight mediocre. I think this is a stretch. He is a big guy with a strong arm and good mobility, but he he needs some time to bake. I have him below Ewers and I think Ewers made the right call to come back for another year

Penix and Nix are the same age.
Kind of interested to see how the NFL treats Nix and Penix. Both are on the old side and how much does the NFL think they are system dependent

Kind of interested to see how the NFL treats Nix and Penix. Both are on the old side and how much does the NFL think they are system dependent
Penix has talent and seems to be an exceptional leader but all the injuries will keep teams from pulling the trigger. I just don’t see him ever surviving a full NFL season.

Nix is listed at 6’2” but I’ve met him and doubt he is over 6” plus not really a pocket passer and not physical runner like Allen or Hurts. He is a very good college player but don’t expect it to translate in the NFL.

JJ McCarthy will go first round because he has all the tools to be an elite QB. Let's be honest -- he wasn't blessed with many weapons on Michigan's offense. Roman Wilson was his #1 option. He is essentially a slot receiver.

He has never had a big play WR to throw to. WR was arguably the weakest part of our team this year. What he does have going for him -- he has played in a pro style offense, so he won't have to get up to speed. Michigan's offense is as complex as any offense he will see in the NFL.

And the guy just flat out wins. Senior year of HS -- National Championship and undefeated. 2 years as a starter for Michigan. 28-1 and won a national championship.

JJ McCarthy will go first round because he has all the tools to be an elite QB. Let's be honest -- he wasn't blessed with many weapons on Michigan's offense. Roman Wilson was his #1 option. He is essentially a slot receiver.

He has never had a big play WR to throw to. WR was arguably the weakest part of our team this year. What he does have going for him -- he has played in a pro style offense, so he won't have to get up to speed. Michigan's offense is as complex as any offense he will see in the NFL.

And the guy just flat out wins. Senior year of HS -- National Championship and undefeated. 2 years as a starter for Michigan. 28-1 and won a national championship.
All this plus he can run, prob in the 4.5 range. The kid is a good athlete along with everything else which the NFL loves right now, he has higher upside than some of the other QB's and this is a deep class at QB this year.
I dunno if he is the first QB taken, but he will imo definitely get drafted, and pretty high.

I'd prob go

1. Williams
2. Maye
3. McCarthy
4. Daniels
5. Sanders

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see if Caleb will be as good of a pro as Baker Mayfield. Baker finally has a decent team around him and is playing well. I feel bad for the other OU qb Hurts but man when Baker is playing like that he's unstoppable. Looking forward to the Baker vs Caleb mathups in the future.

All this plus he can run, prob in the 4.5 range. The kid is a good athlete along with everything else which the NFL loves right now, he has higher upside than some of the other QB's and this is a deep class at QB this year.
I dunno if he is the first QB taken, but he will imo definitely get drafted, and pretty high.

I'd prob go

1. Williams
2. Maye
3. McCarthy
4. Daniels
5. Sanders
He won't be the 1st QB taken, but he will go in the 1st round. As you said -- he is really athletic, can throw into tight windows and is very accurate when he rolls out with throws. With his knowledge of pro style offenses -- it won't take him long to pick up any offense he is put in to.

At Michigan -- we don't run an offense that showcases the QB. Even when we have a WR who could dominate (like Nico Collins), we are still a run first team.

I think McCarthy is going to surprise some people and I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than some QB's picked ahead of him.

1. Daniels - I think what he did particularly against SEC Defenses will be what takes him #1
2. Williams - personally I'd pass but someone will take this train wreck
3. Maye - I think scouts will look at Will Levis and want some of that.
4. Pennix - Kid's a little streaky and injury prone but if he cleared his medical I'd give him a shot.
5. Nix - I don't see him ever being an NFL starter though.
6. Sanders - Kid has the talent but he hasn't had the coaching and he will be a project (if he wants to survive he should declare it isn't going to get any better).
The next Ryan Leaf.

The next Ryan Leaf.
I wouldn't go that far with him. He is at least mobile and can make plays with his feet. Williams will have to go to the right team though. If he gets stuck in a situation like Bryce Young -- he will flop immediately.

Caleb Williams is the heavy favorite but man does he give off Ryan Leaf implosion vibes.

The next Ryan Leaf.

Caleb Williams is the heavy favorite but man does he give off Ryan Leaf implosion vibes.
I guess I should have kept reading

Ninjas GIF

I wouldn't go that far with him. He is at least mobile and can make plays with his feet. Williams will have to go to the right team though. If he gets stuck in a situation like Bryce Young -- he will flop immediately.
Not referring to his physical ability, just his mental one. Have a feeling dude will both flop and implode.

What about Hartman? He gettin drafted or is he FA bound?

He wasn’t…bad I guess but also wasn’t exactly a world beater but.. maybe a good combine boosts his stock.

Didn't Leaf have drug issues? I haven't heard that with Williams. Williams arrogance is the only issue I've heard of...but there are a lot of arrogant egomaniacs to go around.

Didn't Leaf have drug issues? I haven't heard that with Williams. Williams arrogance is the only issue I've heard of...but there are a lot of arrogant egomaniacs to go around.
Yeah.

He became a full on junkie not long after his football days were over. Did some time in prison for burglary, after running out of money to feed his addiction.

Imo his issues lead to drug abuse and crime. They weren’t caused by them.

Yeah.

He became a full on junkie not long after his football days were over. Did some time in prison for burglary, after running out of money to feed his addiction.

Imo his issues lead to drug abuse and crime. They weren’t caused by them.
So it was during his post playing days. Thanks for the clarification.

So it was during his post playing days. Thanks for the clarification.
He may very well have had drug issues while playing also.

But it all unraveled for him once he was unemployed.