RIP Dick Butkus

He really defined the LB position in his day. Tough SOB!

When I got home from work yesterday, my wife happened to be scrolling through social media on her phone and encountered a photo of Bears #51 and said "oh, who is this?" and showed me the picture. Me: "What? You don't recognize Dick Butkus? ...One of the greatest linebackers to ever step foot on a football field!?!?" Her: "Oooh, yeah I know now. My bad." Me: "Dang right 'your bad'! You need to put that Facebook crap down and get on YouTube and watch 100 videos of the greatest football players of all time."

This thread is loaded with Packers fans paying very deep and earnest respects to a Chicago Bears player. That right there speaks volumes. The man was a beast and a legend. :rip: I hope in the next life he's on my football team.

Who was ridiculously meaner? DB or Conrad Dobler? CD has admitted to hurting guys just fucking because.
Conrad Dobler was just a dirty cheap shot artist. DB was straight up intimidating and he didn’t need to cheat to hurt people.

It took me many decades to learn that the newspaper stand guy in Johnny Dangerously was also Mr. Hand from Fast Times at Ridgemount High. What range for an actor.

There was a scene in "Fast Times" where Spicoli threw a stack of newspapers at him too but it was cut from the final edit.

Last edited:
I bet wherever Dick is he's telling someone "Put those cookies back, mutherfucker!!!" :wink:

Just got done watching a bunch of highlights and documentary type things about him.

Wow. What a fucking tough motherfucker. And he was charitable as fuck. Great, tough, fearsome, but kind human.

RIP.