Rule Changes Coming in '23

It’s gonna be really awesome when these things decide games that actually matter.

In all sincerity why does pace of play even matter? Diehards will sit there with their scorecards for five hours, while casuals will now leave in the seventh instead of the sixth. At the park, they’ve already got my money after the first pitch and on TV, you’re only giving advertisers less product.

less bang for my buck

I'm not personally complaining about it, I just don't see a huge benefit for it. Similar to the free baserunner in extra innings thing.

I grew up watching the Red Sox and Garciaparra fucking with his hands for 5 minutes between every single pitch, I guess I don't watch enough baseball enough to know if that shit is the norm for a lot of batters or not. I also just know baseball is a crazy routine oriented game, so if a dude needs to adjust his gloves to get a good feel and head space, whatever.

give the pitcher an automatic strike if he "hops" over the foul line too.

Are they discussing the pitch clock being taken away during the post-season? I really don't want game 7 of the World Series coming down to the pitch clock running out.

I guess.

I probably fall into the “whatever” category of fan. I don’t watch baseball for the action, because there’s never much of it. Going to games is just awesome, I don’t even notice the batter adjustments and I’ll probably just get bored and leave before the game is over anyway. On TV it’s mostly background noise that I’ll “watch” until the end of the game.

I guess these adjustment for my consumption means I’ll leave in the 7/8th instead of the 6th in person.
Why are you leaving early?

Why are you leaving early?
Bored. Traffic. Who knows.

I’ve probably stayed until the end of maybe two baseball games at any level in my entire life. Which is funny because I’ve only ever left maybe two games(I think two blowout hockey games)of any other sport in my entire life.

No shifts, pitch timer, larger bases.

Personal thoughts:

1) No shifts: don't really care, they can still overshift pretty hard. Might see a few more singles to right since the 2B can't play in shallow RF any more.

2) Pitch timer and throw-over maxes: I like that there's a requirement that hitters have to be ready. Hopefully it limits the fiddling with batting gloves crap. Was slightly concerned about the limit on throwing over as it could lead to runners going all the time after the 2 "disengagements", but the pitcher can still try to pick off a runner if he breaks after 2 throw-overs. Runner gets the next base if he makes it back safely.

3) Larger bases. Meh. Apparently it reduces collisions and increases risk taking on the basepaths. If that's the case, I'm for it.
This, could be the turning point......

FNYe3BbUUAgBSZ6

Are they discussing the pitch clock being taken away during the post-season? I really don't want game 7 of the World Series coming down to the pitch clock running out.
Then it's like the NHL and the postseason gets different treatment.

The goal was always supposed to be to reduce the time seen as wasted. "Pitch clock" would seem to favor the defense, since yeah- it's generally the batters calling time to readjust their gloves, jockstrap, etc. Seems inevitable that we're going to see a few strikes when the batter isn't ready.

No, I wouldn't think that they'd stop this. It would be like the NBA stopping the shot clock in the playoffs.

Maybe with these changes, Yankees vs Red Sox games with end in less than four hours.

3) Larger bases. Meh. Apparently it reduces collisions and increases risk taking on the basepaths.

Since it reduces the distance between bases, it's all a dis-service to the greats. Ricky Henderson, Lou Brock, Vince Coleman, and Maury Wills each stole 100 or more bases in a single season. :clap:

Lifetime Top 10 Stolen Bases
Rickey Henderson 1,406
Lou Brock 938
Billy Hamilton 914
Ty Cobb 897
Tim Raines 808
Vince Coleman 752
Arlie Latham 742
Eddie Collins 741
Max Carey 738
Honus Wagner 723