Scenario: World Series Game 1 Starter

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 112.00
You're the manager. Your team just won a very difficult 7-game series in the LCS while your opponent in the WS swept their series and have been in the hot tub resting.

Your opponent will be starting a well-rested league-best ace in Game 1, an away game for your team.

Your #1 just pitched 7 innings 72 hrs ago and had pitched a combined 22 innings in the 7-game LCS.

Who do you start?

I have seen similar scenarios and I have yet to see a manager not start their #1 man in the rotation, which I find to be preposterous.

You know what I do? Virtually concede game 1.

You're away. You're tired. You're facing the best pitcher in the league, well-rested. I start the weakest link in the rotation and tell him to eat innings. I have my long-relievers primed and I prepare now for Game 2. The whole goal will be to steal Game 2.

I start the pitcher who would be next up in rotation, but I bat my worst bench player lead off and have him charge the mound on any pitch remotely inside and force the other team’s ace to throw a punch so he gets ejected and force the other team into a bullpen game

Rest
Rest

A. Home field doesn’t mean shit.
B. Baseball is volatile. You might get some rad bats and all you needed was your ace to lock them down a bit.
C. If it’s a tough series, you’re gonna want your ace in games 1,4,7, that’s three outings.

I’m throwing my ace in there.

I might throw a bullpen day out there … depending on the available arms on my roster. A 72 hour rest might be a go to for survival if you are playing an elimination game. Too many variables, but my ace is not one of them.

I assume that the most likely scenario will happen: we lose Game 1 away and i prepare to win four-of-six and that begins with Game 2: my ace vs. their #2.