TV Series Shadow and Bone

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 256,604.00
Shadow and Bone, based on the 2012 fantasy novel of the same title by Leigh Bardugo, will be released on Netflix in April 2021:

I have her books on my to read list. I like her stuff.

So.... what is the premise? I'm intrigued but that trailer told us absolutely nothing. LOL

From the trilogy box set

Soldier. Summoner. Saint. Follow Alina Starkov through Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising as she discovers her dormant powers and is swept up in a world of luxury and illusion. As Alina struggles to fit into her new life, a threat to the kingdom of Ravka grows―one that will test old alliances and challenge the very limits of magic, one that will forge a leader from a frightened girl.

For the write up from just Shadow and Bone

Soldier. Summoner. Saint. Orphaned and expendable, Alina Starkov is a soldier who knows she may not survive her first trek across the Shadow Fold—a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters. But when her regiment is attacked, Alina unleashes dormant magic not even she knew she possessed.

Now Alina will enter a lavish world of royalty and intrigue as she trains with the Grisha, her country’s magical military elite—and falls under the spell of their notorious leader, the Darkling. He believes Alina can summon a force capable of destroying the Shadow Fold and reuniting their war-ravaged country, but only if she can master her untamed gift.

As the threat to the kingdom mounts and Alina unlocks the secrets of her past, she will make a dangerous discovery that could threaten all she loves and the very future of a nation.

Welcome to Ravka . . . a world of science and superstition where nothing is what it seems.

So.... what is the premise? I'm intrigued but that trailer told us absolutely nothing. LOL

"Shadow and Bone", it's the Michael Douglas biopic :lol:

Well, today's new teaser trailer makes things clearer, and also more specifically gives the premiere date as Friday, April 23, 2021: :)

Full trailer:

The show seems cool and I'm going to see it through the end but I have no fucking idea what's going on here.

Midway through episode 5 and here is where I'm at:

There is a country that is in a civil war because of reasons but mostly because there is a nether region they cannot cross and you are fucked if you go there.

This one chick was born an orfhan but is essentially an Avatar because pretty much all the special people here have Avatar powers only she's the chosen one. And she has a boyfriend only they aren't official yet. But he would die for her literally (it's shown multiple times) but he's just a friend so she is into the General who is also a very powerful Avatar. Plus someone is trying to kidnap her for reasons and the most interesting person in that group is the one chick in this show that is hotter.

Also another Avatar got kidnapped and I'm supposed to care about that.

I'm into this but writing it out this seems like a hot mess.

I keep wondering if I should give it a shot and won't read past your second sentence, so I'm still on the fence. what audience is it geared towards? the fact you have no idea what's going on really doesn't help me out to the age it's geared towards.

I haven't been watching television outside of sports lately, but I have been meaning to get to this show.

I've read a book or two by Leigh Bardugo and really like her stuff and I have another series on my shelf I might pick up next, but nothing from the Geishaverse novels.

This has been a decent series. Season 2 is just getting started. If you're looking for a mystery in another world of magic, this can work: