3. Liberty (RV)
4. Texas State (RV)
5. Wichita State (RV)
6. JMU (RV)
6. Western Kentucky (RV)
8. Fresno State (RV)
8. Miami OH (RV)
8. Southern Illinois (RV)

My girls used to play, so we would watch these tournaments early every summer. It’s not a bad game to watch once the best schools start playing each other.

The only annoyance is the same one I had coaching 12 year old girls....the god damn chanting from the dugout.

My girls used to play, so we would watch these tournaments early every summer. It’s not a bad game to watch once the best schools start playing each other.

The only annoyance is the same one I had coaching 12 year old girls....the god damn chanting from the dugout.
My daughter plays, and I love watching the college game, but that dugout chanting makes me want to choke a puppy.

My daughter plays, and I love watching the college game, but that dugout chanting makes me want to choke a puppy.
Ever coached any of her teams? As bad as it is in the bleachers it’s so much worse in the dug out with them. Other than that annoyance they play a beautiful game at all levels (well....older than 10-11 anyway).

Ever coached any of her teams? As bad as it is in the bleachers it’s so much worse in the dug out with them. Other than that annoyance they play a beautiful game at all levels (well....older than 10-11 anyway).
Yes, I coach her team (8U). Working on the fundamentals, learning to love the game.

Yes, I coach her team (8U). Working on the fundamentals, learning to love the game.
That’s a good age. I coached that age and the 11-12 later. You can teach them more complex things at 11-12, but I enjoyed teaching the fundamentals when they were younger much more.

Good on you :beer2:

Just saw that the pitcher for North Texas State had a perfecto-perfecto. A 7 inning complete perfect game with 21 Ks.

Just saw that the pitcher for North Texas State had a perfecto-perfecto. A 7 inning complete perfect game with 21 Ks.
Wow. That's very impressive for that pitcher and really embarrassing for the team she did that to.

My oldest played all the way through HS. Travel teams etc. All Dade County and District champs 4 years straight but got wiped out in state regionals

Last edited:
Word. That shit is annoying as hell.

I am a coach on my my son's 11U travel baseball team and from time to time, the opponents will start that nonsense up. We'll quietly tell our boys to start up a chant and when they do, one of our coaches will yell out, "KIDS! CUT THAT OUT! WE'RE NOT A SOFTBALL TEAM!"

My oldest played all the way through HS. Travel teams etc. All Dade County and District champs 4 years straight but got wiped out in state regionals
Nice!! My oldest was on the way to travel ball, but she wore out on the whole crazy parents thing (no, I was not one of them). Or, at least that was the reason she gave to stop.

Word. That shit is annoying as hell.

I am a coach on my my son's 11U travel baseball team and from time to time, the opponents will start that nonsense up. We'll quietly tell our boys to start up a chant and when they do, one of our coaches will yell out, "KIDS! CUT THAT OUT! WE'RE NOT A SOFTBALL TEAM!"
Yeah....there’s none of that shit in baseball. I would raise hell on my team of boys if they were aping that.

I tried to convince my girls to let their play do the talking....but you can’t raise hell on a 12-13 year old softball team. The female species doesn’t respond to that as well as boys do.

Nice!! My oldest was on the way to travel ball, but she wore out on the whole crazy parents thing (no, I was not one of them). Or, at least that was the reason she gave to stop.
Kinda why my daughter stopped playing after HS. By her senior year she was no longer interested. She had been playing almost non-stop since she was 8. Could have easily played in college but her heart wasn’t in it anymore.

Kinda why my daughter stopped playing after HS. By her senior year she was no longer interested. She had been playing almost non-stop since she was 8. Could have easily played in college but her heart wasn’t in it anymore.
Yep. That’s what I read in mine at 13. She had played since 6 and really worked to get good. Then, the passion was just gone.

Yeah....there’s none of that shit in baseball. I would raise hell on my team of boys if they were aping that.

I tried to convince my girls to let their play do the talking....but you can’t raise hell on a 12-13 year old softball team. The female species doesn’t respond to that as well as boys do.
Don't get me wrong, our boys know better than to chant. We tell them to do it so that we can yell "we're not a softball team" loud enough for the other team (who is changing for real) to hear it.

I coached 12-14 year old girls basketball one year. I had only 7 girls on the team. Early in the season we played against a team with 15+ and we began to wear down in the middle of the 3rd quarter and eventually lost the game because my team was gassed. In that moment, I realized we've gotta improve our stamina if we want to challenge for a conference championship.

I started the following practice by sitting all of the girls down around a cafeteria table for game review - detailing to them why we lost that game and what we needed to do to be able to compete for a championship. No girls want to run more in practice, but I was able to compassionately illuminate the positive benefit of doing so and they bought in better than I expected them to.

I coached 12-14 year old girls basketball one year. I had only 7 girls on the team. Early in the season we played against a team with 15+ and we began to wear down in the middle of the 3rd quarter and eventually lost the game because my team was gassed. In that moment, I realized we've gotta improve our stamina if we want to challenge for a conference championship.

I started the following practice by sitting all of the girls down around a cafeteria table for game review - detailing to them why we lost that game and what we needed to do to be able to compete for a championship. No girls want to run more in practice, but I was able to compassionately illuminate the positive benefit of doing so and they bought in better than I expected them to.
Good story. I didn’t mean any of my earlier replies to mean the girls weren’t engaged and dedicated to getting better and winning. They might have showed a stronger and more consistent will to succeed that boys team I grew up playing on.

They listened and learned well to new things they were being taught, like a two strike count, choke up, at least fight off anything close while looking for the pitch you want. We started to run through the other teams pitchers once they got that down.

The incessant chanting was the only thing I didn’t like about coaching girls.

Good story. I didn’t mean any of my earlier replies to mean the girls weren’t engaged and dedicated to getting better and winning. They might have showed a stronger and more consistent will to succeed that boys team I grew up playing on.

They listened and learned well to new things they were being taught, like a two strike count, choke up, at least fight off anything close while looking for the pitch you want. We started to run through the other teams pitchers once they got that down.

The incessant chanting was the only thing I didn’t like about coaching girls.

You were right, raising hell with young teen girls will not produce the results you are looking for. My story was shared as a testimonial of how I was able to handle a difficult situation and produce results within that same gender and age group.

You were right, raising hell with young teen girls will not produce the results you are looking for. My story was shared as a testimonial of how I was able to handle a difficult situation and produce results within that same gender and age group.
When I first started doing it I felt like Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own. Being raised by a Marine and without sisters there was a curve to climb. Ha.