Speaking of wood floors

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
I ordered my material for my stairs and entire second floor. Went with dark weathered looking wood. My second floor is all bedrooms, and they are currently carpeted. My stairs and 2nd floor hall are all tile.

Problem I have is whoever did the tile used the wrong thin set, or something, because half the tiles have popped loose. So now they make this nice crunching sound when you step on the right ones.

Almost 7k for the material, and that was with 15% discount. Started stripping the stairs today, and what a pain in the ass. These fucking guys did everything wrong. They screwed down cement backer board, with 2" fucking screws, but didn't mortar it underneath. Oh but they the fuck caked on the thin set, over top, as you can see in some of the pics.

Took me about 4.5 hours to get the steps stripped. Flooring won't be in for a month, but my stairs treads should be here in a week to 10 days.

Going to do tile on the face of the treads, that will match the feature wall in my game room. Hope it comes out the way I see it in my head.20220110_095330.jpgView attachment 5594620220110_095401.jpg20220110_095346.jpg20220110_134348.jpg

Nice work, Peter.

Those first couple of steps off the landing look like a death trap if I've had one too many bourbons and/or are carrying a plate of hors d'oeuvre down. Do you or the wife gots big feet?

Better you than me..... LOL, I hate stair work & tile demo.

Your stairs will be much better tho. That tile had to be cold & slippery!!!

Nice work, Peter.

Those first couple of steps off the landing look like a death trap if I've had one too many bourbons and/or are carrying a plate of hors d'oeuvre down. Do you or the wife gots big feet?
Those tile edges have claimed many a victim, myself included. Daughter had to get a couple stitches in her shin once.

Better you than me..... LOL, I hate stair work & tile demo.

Your stairs will be much better tho. That tile had to be cold & slippery!!!
The old dog fell down them a while back. Poor old girl. The dumb ass Shepard has fallen down them too, but I don't feel bad for him.

Hey, at least you have backer board to remove and start fresh. I expected to see none and just mastic on plywood after that first photo.

What is it with all those desert homes and fucking tile?

Tile fucking stairs!? That's silleh.
It's 105 in the dead of winter! Anything to help keep it cooler?!

It's 105 in the dead of winter! Anything to help keep it cooler?!
Goddamn, it is so fucking hot there!?

"My blood is too thick for California: I have never been able to properly explain myself in this climate." ― Hunter S. Thompson

What is it with all those desert homes and fucking tile?

Tile fucking stairs!? That's silleh.
Whiever did the stairs was hired after the guy that did the first floor. Downstairs tile is rock solid, and the 2nd floor baths were done by the same guy, cuz they are tight. The fucking stairs is just fucking dumb.

They didn't even round over the edges. Just straight factory corners. Sharp as fuck.

I love tile, but this is stupid.

That tile job looked like shit. I prefer the plywood over that.
Going to paint the plywood for now, at least seal it all up for now. Got some flat exterior paint around here somewhere.

George Costanza Wow GIF by hero0fwar

Whiever did the stairs was hired after the guy that did the first floor. Downstairs tile is rock solid, and the 2nd floor baths were done by the same guy, cuz they are tight. The fucking stairs is just fucking dumb.

They didn't even round over the edges. Just straight factory corners. Sharp as fuck.

I love tile, but this is stupid.
I like tile plenty...my bathrooms, shower and laundry are tile. I'd consider it in the kitchen or bar as well, but goddamn dude, stairs seem dangerous for my drunk ass.

So what's the plan to finish these floors ??
Stain
Poly
Boiled Linseed Oil